When it comes to spreadsheet software, Microsoft Excel is like a superstar. It’s been ruling the spreadsheet world for a long time, and it’s not hard to see why.
Excel is known for being the best, most user-friendly, and feature-packed spreadsheet program out there. That’s why people from all walks of life, whether they’re working in businesses or just managing their own stuff, love using it.
But here’s the catch: Excel can be pretty pricey. You might have to shell out more than $100 for a lifetime license for the whole Microsoft Office package or over $60 per year for a Microsoft 365 subscription.
If you’re not keen on spending that kind of money but still need to work with spreadsheets, don’t worry. There are free spreadsheet software options that won’t cost you a cent. You can explore tools like Google Sheets, LibreOffice, OpenOffice, and even Microsoft Excel Online. These are all great choices for creating spreadsheets without breaking the bank.
Now, let’s dive into the world of the best free spreadsheet software available today.
Google Sheets is a fantastic free spreadsheet software available not only for Windows but also for various other operating systems. Initially designed as a web-based app, it’s now also accessible on iOS and Android devices through dedicated mobile apps.
Google Sheets closely resembles Microsoft Excel in many ways, sharing similar features and formulas. While there might be a slight learning curve as it’s not an exact Excel clone, it’s a great choice, especially if you’re already using other Google services.
With real-time collaboration, version history, and the flexibility to expand its capabilities with add-ons, Google Sheets has earned its spot among the best free spreadsheet software.
Supported Platforms: Google Sheets is accessible through web browsers on your computer and also available as mobile apps for Android and iOS devices. Please note that the mobile apps have slightly fewer features than the web version. To use Google Sheets, you’ll need a Google account.
Where to Access It: You can access Google Sheets directly through your web browser by visiting this link. If you prefer mobile use, you can download the app from the App Store for iOS or the Google Play Store for Android.
Top Features of Google Sheets
- Real-Time Collaboration: One of the standout features of Google Sheets is its ability to allow multiple people to work on the same spreadsheet simultaneously. This means you and your team can make changes together, and everything is saved automatically. Just make sure you’re connected to the internet.
- Version History: Google Sheets keeps track of all the changes made to your spreadsheets. You can see who made specific edits and go back to previous versions if needed.
- Add-Ons and Extensions: You can enhance the functionality of Google Sheets by adding various extensions and add-ons, which are like mini-programs that give you extra tools and features.
Apache OpenOffice Calc
Much like LibreOffice, Apache OpenOffice Calc stands as one of the best free spreadsheet software options available. It’s part of the Apache OpenOffice suite, which is entirely free and open source. This suite is the successor to OpenOffice.org, which is now discontinued.
While Apache OpenOffice may not be as widely recognized as some other productivity suites, Apache OpenOffice Calc is a hidden gem for anyone in need of powerful spreadsheet capabilities. It boasts user friendliness, a plethora of customization options, and seamless compatibility with other software.
The primary limitation of Apache OpenOffice Calc is its somewhat limited availability. It primarily works on Windows 32-bit systems and a selection of older macOS versions. However, for those seeking to use it on different platforms, there are unofficial third-party ports available. Although these options exist, they may require a bit of technical know-how to set up, making them more suitable for tech-savvy users
Supported Platforms: Apache OpenOffice Calc is available on several platforms, making it a versatile choice. You can use it on Windows 32-bit systems, macOS (specifically versions from 10.4 Tiger to 10.7 Monterey), and Linux. Additionally, some unofficial third-party ports are available for more options.
Where to Download: To get your hands on Apache OpenOffice Calc, visit the official Apache OpenOffice website. It’s the go-to place to download this fantastic, free, and open-source software for your spreadsheet needs.
Top Key Features of Apache OpenOffice Calc
- User-Friendly and Easy to Navigate: Apache OpenOffice Calc is designed with simplicity in mind. It provides a user-friendly experience, ensuring that even beginners can comfortably navigate through their spreadsheet tasks.
- Plenty of Customization Features: You have the flexibility to customize your experience, tailor the software to match your preferences, and work in a way that suits you best.
- Compatibility with Other Spreadsheet Programs: Collaborating with others is made easier as Apache OpenOffice Calc is compatible with various spreadsheet programs. You can share your work seamlessly.
- Advanced Calculations: If you’re dealing with complex calculations, Apache OpenOffice Calc has you covered. It offers features that enable you to perform advanced and intricate calculations.
Microsoft Excel Online
While Microsoft Excel is the undisputed king of spreadsheet applications, its free online version has been generating a buzz, all thanks to its unique proposition. Featuring many breathtaking features along with user-friendly design, Excel Online has warmed its way to the hearts of many spreadsheet enthusiasts, solidifying its spot among some of the best free spreadsheet software out there currently.
What we love most about this online spreadsheet tool is that it is easily accessible through your web browser and completely free to use. All you need is a Microsoft account, and you’re ready to create spreadsheets in the cloud.
While it’s a great choice for Windows users, it’s important to be aware that for more advanced spreadsheet tasks, you might need to explore more sophisticated spreadsheet applications.
Supported Platforms: Excel Online is designed for use exclusively on the web, which means you can access it through web browsers as long as you’re connected to the internet.
Where to Access It: To use Microsoft Excel Online, simply visit this link in your web browser. The best part is that it’s not just Excel; you can also access and use Microsoft Word and PowerPoint for free. Please note that you’ll need an internet connection and a Microsoft account to get started.
Top Features of Excel Online
- Familiar User Interface: Excel Online offers a user interface similar to the desktop version of Excel, making it easy for those who are already accustomed to Excel’s look and feel. It’s designed to be user-friendly, especially for beginners.
- Basic Features: It provides all the essential features that you’d find in the desktop version, including formulas. You can create, edit, and manage your spreadsheets with ease.
- Navigation: While it’s familiar, the way you navigate may differ a bit. You might need to explore a little to find specific functions and formulas, but with a bit of practice, you’ll get the hang of it.
- Limited Functions: Keep in mind that Excel Online has some limitations compared to the full desktop version. If you need advanced functionality, you might want to consider other options.
- Upload and Edit: You can upload your existing worksheets from your computer and edit them online. Plus, you can download them again whenever you want.
- Auto-Save to OneDrive: Excel Online automatically saves your work to your Microsoft OneDrive account, so you don’t have to worry about losing your data.
LibreOffice Calc is part of the LibreOffice suite, a collection of free and open-source productivity tools. It’s designed for both ease of use and flexibility. The user interface is straightforward and intuitive, making it a great choice for newcomers to spreadsheet software. It offers a rich set of features, putting it head to head with some of the best free spreadsheet software like Google Sheets, and Microsoft Excel online.
What makes this spreadsheet application better than some of the other alternatives out there is the amazing platforms it supports.
Whether you’re using a Mac, a Windows PC, or a Linux machine, LibreOffice Calc is available for your system. However, please note that there isn’t a mobile version of Calc at the moment.
We will update you if the mobile version of this spreadsheet application eventually launches.
Supported Platforms: As we mentioned earlier, LibreOffice Calc is available on a range of operating systems, making it accessible to a broad audience. You can use it on macOS (both Intel and Apple Silicon), Windows (32-bit and 64-bit), and Linux systems.
Where to Access It: To get your hands on LibreOffice Calc, head to the official LibreOffice website. There, you can download this free, open-source software and start creating spreadsheets.
Top Features of LibreOffice Calc
- Compatibility: LibreOffice Calc is compatible with various file formats, allowing you to work with documents from different sources without hassle.
- Intuitive User Interface: With an intuitive user interface, Calc is user-friendly, making it easy for beginners to navigate and create spreadsheets.
- Customization: You have the freedom to customize Calc according to your needs and preferences, tailoring it to your specific requirements.
- Flexible Functionality: Calc offers a wide range of features similar to what you’d find in Microsoft Excel. Plus, it allows you to disable or hide advanced features if you find them unnecessary, keeping things simple and clutter-free.
WPS’ free spreadsheet software is part of the larger WPS Office suite, which stands as a formidable alternative to Microsoft Office and Office 365. It offers many essential features, although not an exhaustive list. The software empowers you to handle your data effectively and efficiently, with an array of tools and functionalities at your disposal.
The only minor drawback of the free tier, WPS Office Standard, is the occasional appearance of ads. To enjoy an uninterrupted experience and access additional features, you can opt for a subscription to WPS Office. This not only removes the ads but also enhances your capabilities, making it a worthwhile investment for those who rely heavily on spreadsheet software.
Supported Platforms: WPS Spreadsheet is available on a wide range of platforms, including Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS/iPadOS. Whether you’re using a computer or a mobile device, you can tap into its capabilities.
Where to Download: To get your hands on the WPS Spreadsheet, simply visit the official website of the WPS Office. You can download the software there and enjoy its spreadsheet features.
Top Features of WPS Spreadsheet
- Free with Ads (or Ad-Free with Subscription): WPS Office offers a free tier, known as WPS Office Standard. While it’s free, it does come with occasional ads. If you’d rather have an ad-free experience and unlock more features, you can subscribe to WPS Office.
- Essential Spreadsheet Tools: WPS Spreadsheet provides you with most of the tools you need for creating and managing spreadsheets. It covers the basics and then some more advanced features, making it suitable for a wide range of spreadsheet tasks.
- Collaborative Features: Collaboration is made easy with WPS Spreadsheet. It supports real-time collaboration, allowing multiple users to work on the same spreadsheet simultaneously. You can also set access and editing permissions to control who can do what.
- Data Sources and Charts: WPS Spreadsheet opens the door to over 60 types of data sources and charts, enabling you to create dynamic and informative spreadsheets with ease.
Unfamiliar with Zoho Sheet? You’re not alone. This hidden gem might have slipped under your radar, but Zoho, renowned for its remarkable productivity tools like Zoho Notebook, also offers one of the best free spreadsheet applications in the market – Zoho Sheet.
The best part? Zoho Sheet is not only feature-rich but also incredibly cost-effective. While you’ll need to create a Zoho account to get started with this browser-based app, the good news is that Zoho Sheet is entirely free to use on the web. Plus, if you prefer working on your mobile device, Zoho offers apps for both iOS and Android, ensuring that you can take your work with you wherever you go.
Without mincing words, Zoho Sheet is a fantastic choice for those in search of a powerful, integrated spreadsheet application. Its extensive list of integrations, AI-powered data analysis, and ease of access across platforms make it a top choice for those looking for the best free spreadsheet software.
Supported platforms: Zoho Sheet is incredibly versatile and available on various platforms to suit your needs. You can access it through compatible web browsers, and there are dedicated mobile apps for both Android and iOS. It even supports Chromebooks. So, whether you prefer the convenience of a browser or the mobility of your smartphone or tablet, Zoho Sheet has you covered.
Where to Access it: You can access Zoho Sheet directly from your web browser by clicking this link. And if you prefer the mobile versions, you can download it straight from your preferred app stores.
Top Features for Optimal Productivity
What makes Zoho Sheet stand out among the competition are its incredible features. Here, check out a few of those features that will definitely make you fall in love with this spreadsheet application.
- Effortless Spreadsheet Creation and Editing: Zoho Sheet provides a user-friendly platform to create and edit spreadsheets effortlessly. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced user, the interface is intuitive and responsive.
- Data Management and Visualization: Easily manage and visualize your data, enabling you to make informed decisions and track your progress effectively.
- Seamless Online Collaboration: Zoho Sheet fosters collaboration through real-time sharing and editing, making it a superb choice for team projects or group tasks.
- AI-Powered Data Analysis: Leveraging AI-assisted data analysis, Zoho Sheet automates complex data processing, helping you draw valuable insights from your data without the need for advanced analytical skills.
- Extensive Integration Ecosystem: With over a thousand integrations, Zoho Sheet effortlessly connects with other software and tools, seamlessly fitting into your daily work and tech stack.
Apple Numbers is a free spreadsheet software application designed for Apple users. It’s available on macOS, iOS, and can be accessed on the web through iCloud.com. If you’re new to spreadsheets, and looking for the best free spreadsheet software to use for your projects, Numbers is a great place to start.
Numbers is like Apple’s version of Microsoft Excel, and it’s completely free. While it might not have every feature Excel offers, it’s a powerful tool to explore, especially if you’re looking for a spreadsheet program that’s compatible with your Apple devices. It may take a little time to get used to, but it’s definitely worth considering as you dive into the world of spreadsheet management.
Supported Platforms: Being a native Apple software, it means that you can only access this spreadsheet application on a Mac computer or iOS device.
Where to Access It: You don’t need to search for Numbers; it’s already on your Mac computer or iOS device. It comes pre-installed, so there are no downloads, licenses, or subscriptions to worry about.
Top Features of the Apple Numbers Spreadsheet Application
- User-Friendly: Apple Numbers is built with beginners in mind. Its user-friendly interface makes it easy to create and edit spreadsheets, even if you’ve never done it before.
- Data Handling and Visualization: You can use Numbers to manage and visualize your data, making it easier to understand and work with numbers.
- Charts and Graphs: Numbers offers features to create charts and graphs, which help you present your data in a more engaging and understandable way.
- Advanced Calculations: You can perform advanced calculations without needing to be a math whiz. Numbers simplify complex calculations.
- Real-Time Collaboration: Need to work with others? Numbers allows real-time collaboration through iCloud. You and your colleagues can edit the same spreadsheet simultaneously, no matter where you are.
- Excel Compatibility: Worried about sharing your work with Microsoft Excel users? Don’t be. Apple Numbers lets you export your spreadsheets in the Microsoft Excel format, ensuring compatibility.
Choosing the Right Free Spreadsheet Software: A Simple Guide
After delving into a variety of exceptional free spreadsheet software options, it’s natural to find yourself overwhelmed with choices and pondering which of the best free spreadsheet software you should use.
At the end of the day, the choice ultimately depends on what you need and what you like. Here are some simple guidelines to help you make your decision:
1. Consider Your Needs: Think about what you’ll be using the spreadsheet software for. Do you require a wide range of features, formulas, and advanced formatting options? If so, Google Sheets might be your best bet. It offers a comprehensive set of tools to meet your needs.
2. Keep It Simple: If your spreadsheet needs are more straightforward, you can choose from any of the free apps mentioned earlier. These apps work well for basic tasks, and the choice is really about your personal preferences.
3. Compatibility Matters: Make sure to pick a spreadsheet software that works on your computer or mobile device. Not all apps are available on all operating systems, so check the compatibility with your devices.
4. Try Them Out: The best way to find out which software is most comfortable for you is to give them a try. Experiment with a couple of the options mentioned above to see which one you find the easiest to use and navigate.
In the end, the “best” free spreadsheet software is the one that suits your specific needs and feels right to you. With these simple tips in mind, you’ll be well on your way to making the perfect choice for your spreadsheet tasks.
In this comprehensive exploration of the best free spreadsheet software available, we’ve unveiled a world of possibilities for your data management needs. Each option we’ve examined has its unique strengths, making it easier than ever to find the perfect fit for your specific requirements.
Whether you’re inclined towards the familiarity of Google Sheets, the open-source flexibility of LibreOffice Calc, or the straightforward simplicity of Apache OpenOffice Calc, you have the power to choose what suits you best.
Remember that your decision should be guided by your individual needs and preferences. Consider the features you require, the devices you use, and your comfort level with each software’s interface. Trial and error is your ally – don’t hesitate to experiment with a few to discover which one aligns most harmoniously with your workflow.
This page may contain a few affiliate links, which means if you buy something through them, we may get a commission (without any extra cost to you).