Quick Help to get the divide symbol in word
The table below contains the Divide By symbol or sign which you can copy and paste into your Word document (or Project). It also has the Alt code as well as the keyboard shortcuts for both Mac and Windows.
|Shortcut (Windows)||Alt + 0247|
|Shortcut (Mac)||Option + ‘/’|
To use the Divide By symbol (÷) shortcut on a keyboard, press on the Alt key. Whilst holding on to the shift key, press the symbol’s Alt Code (0247) on the numeric keypad.
The above information is all you need to get the division sign into your Word document.
However, if you are not satisfied with this quick help, below is a detailed guide on how to insert the Divide By symbol or any other symbol in Word.
There are some symbols readily available as second keys on the keyboard. By pressing a few keys simultaneously, you can easily insert such symbols into your work.
Other symbols, however, aren’t that easy to type using a keyboard shortcut. One of these symbols is the Divide By symbol or division sign (÷).
Typing becomes cumbersome for the typist if he or she needs to insert some of these symbols regularly into his work.
But it doesn’t have to be difficult. Especially now that you are reading this guide.
How to Insert Divide By symbol in Word
In this tutorial, I have shown you all the easy ways to insert the Divide By symbol (÷) into Word.
Below are the various ways to insert the division symbol into Word.
Using the Divide symbol Alt code (shortcut)
Every symbol in Word has a unique code that you can use to insert the symbol into your document. This code is well known as “Alt code”.
The alt code for divide symbol is 0394.
Below are the steps to type the division symbol on your keyboard (using the Alt code):
- Press the num lock key to turn on your Num Lock. Use Fn key + NumLk keys to turn on Num Lock on laptops without a numeric keypad.
- Whilst holding down the [Alt] key, type  on the numeric keypad (on the right). The alt code for the Divide symbol is 0247.
- Then release the [Alt] key. The Division (÷) symbol should appear in your document.
Divide By symbol in Word for Mac
For Mac users, the easiest way to insert the Divide By symbol into MS Word is to use the keyboard shortcut stated below:
Option + /
Copy and paste the Divide By symbol
Inserting symbols into your document can be a simple copy and paste.
You can copy and paste it again if you have already inserted it into your document. Or you can copy it from elsewhere like a webpage.
Below is the Divide By sign if you want to copy and paste it into your work:
Using Insert Symbol Dialog
This approach isn’t as straight forward as the previous methods. But it’s fairly simple.
And once you get the symbol into your document, you can always copy and paste it again as and when you need it.
Below are the steps to insert a Divide By symbol in Word using the insert symbol dialog.
- On the Insert tab, click the Symbol button and choose More Symbols…
These few clicks will display the Symbol dialog box. Now it’s time to look for the symbol you want to insert.
- Locate the Symbol
To easily find the Divide By symbol in the dialog box, look at the bottom right area of the Symbol dialog box and select Unicode (hex) in the from: drop-down. Then look again at the top right area of the dialog and select Latin-1 Supplement in the Subset: drop-down.
The Divide By symbol you want to insert is part of the Latin-1 Supplement group of symbols.
- Select the symbol, and then click Insert.
Alternatively, you can just double-click on the symbol to insert it into your document.
- After inserting, close the Symbol dialog box.
This is how you may insert a Divide By symbol in Word using the insert symbol dialog.
Using Word AutoCorrect to type Divide By symbol
Another way to obtain the Divide By symbol is through the AutoCorrect feature in Word.
It is a facility designed for correcting spelling mistakes like thsi to this.
Using this feature, you can assign a shortcode to the Divide By symbol (such as DIVS).
This way, whenever you type the text DIVS, Word will think that you actually wanted to type ÷ and will convert it into the Divide By symbol automatically.
What makes this approach interesting is that you can assign any code you want to the symbol and Word will be more than glad to insert the symbol whenever you type the code.
Without further ado, below are the steps you can use to type Divide By symbol in Word using AutoCorrect.
- On the Insert tab, click Symbol and then click More Symbols…
The Symbol dialog appears.
- Locate the Divide By symbol, then click to select it.
- Click on the AutoCorrect… button to display the AutoCorrect dialog.
In the AutoCorrect dialog box, enter the following:
- Replace: DIVS
- With: ÷
- Click Add, then click OK.
Word will automatically insert the Divide By symbol into your document whenever you type DIVS.
However, below are some few things to note when you are using the AutoCorrect Method to insert the Divide By sign.
- AutoCorrect is case sensitive. Meaning if you type divs (in lowercase), Word will not convert it into the division sign unless you type DIVS (in uppercase).
- If there is any text before or after the AutoCorrect text, Word will consider the AutoCorrect text as part of the text and hence will not convert it to the Divide By symbol. For example, XDIVS will not get converted, but X DIVS will get converted to X ÷.
These are the various ways you may insert or type the division sign or symbol in Word with or without using the keyboard.