This article contains several methods you can use to type or insert the Eszett or SCHARFES S symbol (ß) anywhere like Microsoft Word or Excel, whether you are using the Windows or the Mac keyboard. I’ll show you all the easy methods including the Alt code shortcut.
This symbol (ß) is also known us sharp s and can be used interchangably.
Without any further ado, let’s get started.
Eszett (or SCHARFES S) symbol Quick Guide
To type the Eszett or Sharp s Symbol anywhere (like in Word or Excel), simply press Option + S shortcut for Mac. If you are on Windows, press down the Alt key and type 0223 using the numeric keypad on the right side of your keyboard.
However, to type the Eszett symbol in Microsoft Word, press Ctrl + & , S. You may need to press the shift key in addition before you can get the & key pressed. So, the final keystrokes will rather be Ctrl + Shift + &, S. Alternatively, just type 00DF and then press Alt + X to get the ß symbol.
The table below contains everything you need to type this symbol on both Windows and Mac.
|Windows Shortcut||Alt + 0223|
|Shortcut for Mac||Option + S|
|Shortcut for Word 1||Ctrl + & , S|
|Shortcut for Word 2||00DF, Alt X|
Whether you are using Windows or Mac, the above information is all you need to get the Sharp S sign into your Word/Excel document.
However, if you are not satisfied with this quick help, keep reading below as I will explain in detail, how to insert this or any other symbol anywhere on your Mac or Windows PC like in MS Word or Excel.
As you may already know, there are several dual-purpose keys on the keyboard. That is to say that there are symbols readily available as second keys on the keyboard. Just by pressing two or more keys simultaneously, you can easily insert such symbols into your work. For instance, pressing Shift + 3 keys give you the Harsh (#) symbol.
However, other symbols aren’t printed on the keyboard as second keys. This makes it difficult to type. One of these symbols is the Eszett symbol or SCHARFES S sign (ß).
Typing becomes very tough for you if you need to insert some of these symbols regularly into your work.
But it doesn’t have to be difficult. Especially now that you are reading this guide.
Insert the Eszett symbol in Word/Excel
In the following sections, I will show you all the easy ways to insert this symbol (ß) anywhere on your Windows or Mac PC (such as Word or Excel or PowerPoint).
In a couple of minutes, I’ll explain several methods you can use to get this (ß) and any other symbol as and when the need arises.
As a quick guide, press Ctrl + & , S on your keyboard to type the SCHARFES S or Eszett symbol in Microsoft Word. This shortcut works in MS Word only. For Windows users outside MS Word, press down the Alt key and type 0223 code on your numeric keypad. You can also press Option + S on Mac.
However, without any further ado, let’s get to work.
Method 1: Sharp S Symbol Shortcuts (Windows & Mac)
The Eszett Symbol Shortcut for Mac is Option + S.
Windows has several shortcuts, some of which works only in Microsoft Word.
However, there’s a Windows shortcut for the SCHARFES S Sign that works across all applications. It is the alt code shortcut which is Alt+0223 (will be discussed in the next section).
The Eszett Symbol shortcut for Microsoft Word is Ctrl + & , S or 00DF, Alt X.
These shortcuts work in Microsoft Word Only.
To use the above shortcut on Windows (for Word), obey the following instructions:
- Place the insertion pointer in the right place.
- Press and release Ctrl + Shift + & simultaneously, then type the letter S. This shortcut will insert the sharp S Symbol for you.
- Alternatively, type 00DF on your keyboard, then press Alt + X. This will convert the numbers into the SCHARFES S symbol at where you place the insertion pointer.
Below is a breakdown on how to use the Eszett symbol shortcut for Mac:
- First of all, place the insertion pointer where you need to insert the symbol.
- Now, using the Mac keyboard, Press Option + S simultaneously.
This shortcut should insert the symbol for you on your Mac PC.
In the next section, I’ll show you how to use the SCHARFES S Symbol Alt Code to type the symbol on your keyboard.
Method 2: Eszett Symbol Alt Code (Windows)
The Eszett (ß) Symbol Alt Code is 0223.
Every symbol in Word has a unique code that you can use to insert the symbol into your document. This code is well known as “Alt code”.
Below are the steps to type this symbol on your keyboard (using the Alt code provided above:
- Press the num lock key to enable the numeric keypad. Use Fn key + NumLk keys to turn on Num Lock on laptops without the numeric keypad.
- Press and hold the Alt key and type 0223 using the numeric keypad.
- After typing the Alt code (i.e. 0223), release the [Alt] key you pressed down.
As soon as you release the Alt Key, the Eszett (ß) symbol should appear in your document.
Method 3: Copy and paste Eszett or Sharp S symbol
Use the button below to copy and paste the SCHARFES S symbol for your work.
My favorite method for inserting symbols I can’t easily type is copy and paste.
With this method, all you need to do is google the symbol you need to type, then copy it from one of the search results provided. Once you get the symbol into your document, you can always recopy and paste it as and when the need arises.
Use the button above to get this symbol on your clipboard.
There is another way to copy this and any other symbol on Windows. It involved using the Windows Character Map.
Obey the steps below to copy and paste any symbol, including the Eszett using the character map.
- Search for the Character map app by clicking on the Start button.
- The Character map app will show up in the search results. Click on it to launch.
- After the Character Map window opens up, click to check the Advance View checkbox to expand the window for more advanced options.
- On the Advanced View section, type Eszett in the search box.
- The symbol you searched for (i.e. the Eszett symbol) will now appear on the Character map. Double click on it to select it. You’ll see that the symbol appears in the Characters to copy text box. This allows you to select and copy several symbols at the same time.
- After selecting the symbol, you wish to copy, click on the Copy button.
- Switch over to wherever you need the symbol, whether in MS Word, Excel, or PowerPoint and press Ctrl + V to paste.
This is how you may copy and paste the SCHARFES S sign using the Character Map on Windows.
Method 4: Using Insert Symbol Dialog
This approach isn’t as straight forward as the shortcut methods. But it’s fairly simple.
And once you get the symbol into your document, you can always copy and paste it again and again, as and when you need it in your work.
Below are the steps to insert the SCHARFES S Sign in Word using the insert symbol dialog.
- Go to the Insert tab.
- On the Insert tab, click the Symbol button and choose More Symbols…
These few clicks will bring up the Symbol dialog box.
- Locate the Symbol you want to insert.
To easily find the Eszett symbol on the Symbols window, look at the top right area of the dialog and select Latin-1 Supplement in the Subset: drop-down list. The Eszett symbol you want to insert is in this category and should appear.
- Select the symbol, and then click on the Insert button.
Alternatively, double-clicking on the symbol will also insert the symbol into your document.
- Click the Close button.
This is how you may insert a Eszett symbol in Word using the insert symbol dialog.
Method 5: Word’s AutoCorrect for the Eszett Sign
You can also type the Eszett Symbol using the AutoCorrect feature in Word.
It is a feature in MS Word designed for correcting spelling mistakes like thsi to this.
Using this AutoCorrect Feature, you can assign a short code to the Sharp S symbol (such as EZT).
This way, whenever you type the text EZT, Word will think that you actually wanted to type ß and will convert it into the Eszett symbol for you automatically.
See illustration below:
What makes this method interesting is that you can assign your own custom shortcut or shortcode to the symbol and Word will automatically insert the symbol whenever you type the code.
Without further ado, below are the steps you can use to type Eszett symbol in Word using AutoCorrect.
- Go to the Insert tab.
- On the Insert tab, go to Symbol and then click More Symbols… The Symbol windows will appear as shown in the below screenshot.
- Locate the Eszett symbol, then click to select it.
- Click on the AutoCorrect… button to display the AutoCorrect window.
- In the AutoCorrect dialog box, enter the following:
- Click Add, and then then hit the OK button.
Now, word will automatically insert the Eszett symbol into your document whenever you type EZT.
However, below are some few things to note when you are using the AutoCorrect Method to insert the Eszett sign.
- AutoCorrect is case sensitive. Meaning if you type ezt (in lowercase), Word will not convert it into the Sharp s Symbol unless you type EZT (in uppercase).
- If there is any text before or after the AutoCorrect text, Word will consider the AutoCorrect text as part of the text and hence will not convert it to the Scharfes S symbol. For example, XEZT will not get converted, but X EZT will get converted to X ß.
As you can see, these are the various ways you may insert or type the Scharfes S or Sharp s sign or symbol in Word/Excel with or without using the keyboard.
My favorite method is using the copy and paste method followed by the Eszett symbol shortcut in Word for both Windows and Mac. The Alt Code method also comes handy.
For any comments or questions about this guide, please let me know in the comments section below.