When you insert a header in Microsoft Word on one page, by default, the header you inserted will apply to all the pages in that document. This makes sense when you are adding page numbers, document titles or dates.
However, there are instances where you may want to insert the header only on the first page of the document. This article will explain the easiest way you can make this happen.
Without further ado, let’s get started.
To insert a header only on the first page in Word, double-click on the header section to make it active. The Header & Footer Tools > Design tab will appear. On this tab, in the Options group, click to check the Different First Page option. This setting will give the first page a different header and footer from the rest of your document.
Related article: How to insert a footer only on first page
Below is a more step by step guide on how to add a header only on the first page in Word:
- Open your Word document.
- Go to the Insert tab.
- In the Header & Footer group, click on the Header command. A drop-down menu will appear.
- From this drop-down menu, select one of the built-in Header options or select the blank option if you want your own custom header.
- The Header & Footer Tools > Design tab will appear on the ribbon. The header section will also become active with the selected built-in header.
- Now the header will be visible on all the pages in your document. To make it appear only on the first page, go to the new design tab on the ribbon, in the Options group, click to check the Different First Page option.
This is how you may insert a header only on the first page in Microsoft Word.
Articles you may find interesting:
- How to create a Table of Content in Word automatically.
- Two ways to convert a Word document into pdf
- How to add a checkbox in word
- Five ways to insert a bullet point symbol [•] in word (+ shortcuts)
- How to insert the current Date or Time in Word
- Easy way to add page borders in Word
- How do you delete pages in MS Word
- Adding footnotes and Endnotes in Word
- How to insert symbols in Word