The easiest way to make a fraction in Microsoft Word is to use the equation tool. The equation tool has a gallery that has lots of popular equation structures including fractions (even mixed fraction).
To make a fraction in Word, go to the Insert tab, in the Symbols group, click the drop-down arrow on the Equation button and select New Equation. Alternatively, just press Alt + ‘=’ on your keyboard. In the Equation Tools Design tab that will appear, click the Fraction drop-down to select the desired structure of fraction.
This is just a brief summary of how to make a fraction in Word. For a more detailed step by step guide on this task, obey the following instructions with screenshots.
- Place the Insertion pointer at where you want to create the fraction.
- Press Alt + ‘=’ on your keyboard to insert the new equation field. Alternatively, Go to the Insert tab. In the Symbols group, click on the Equation button or click the drop-down arrow on the Equation button and select New Equation from the drop-down menu.
- As soon as you press Alt + ‘=’ or click on the new Equation button, Word will insert the field to contain the fraction and also introduce the Equation Tools Design tab.
- On the Equation Tools Design tab, in the Structures group, click on the Fraction button.
- All the available Fraction structures will appear, select the one that best suit your needs.
- You’ll get an empty fraction of the selected structure. Fill the empty boxes with the numbers or content of your fraction.
- To make an improper fraction, first type the whole number before the fraction.
This is how you may insert or create a fraction in Word.
Aside from typing fractions in your Word document, the equation tool can help a lot especially if you are working on a project relating to math or science. With the equation tool, you can also insert any symbol that is not readily available on the keyboard like the division sign.
Articles you may find interesting:
- How to create a Table of Content in Word automatically.
- Two ways to convert a Word document into pdf
- How to add a checkbox in word
- Five ways to insert a bullet point symbol [•] in word (+ shortcuts)
- How to insert the current Date or Time in Word
- Easy way to add page borders in Word
- How do you delete pages in MS Word
- Adding footnotes and Endnotes in Word
- How to insert symbols in Word