A label in Microsoft Word is a piece of paper on which you print addresses for mailing envelopes. Normally, two labels are used for each mailing envelope: one for the To address (i.e. the recipient address) and the other one for the From address (i.e. the returning address). The recipient address label is normally bigger in size than that of the returning address label.
How to print a label in Word
In this post, you’ll learn how to print labels in Microsoft Word.
There are lots of labels from different manufactures that Microsoft Word can work with, for example, Avery labels.
Creating and printing a label in Word is similar to creating and printing an envelope.
Just obey the following instructions to print a label in Word:
- Open your Word document.
- Type the address into the document, select and copy it to clipboard. If the address is already in the document or in a different document, select and copy it to the clipboard.
- Click on the Mailings tab on the ribbon.
- In the Create group, click on Label
The Envelopes and Labels dialog box appears with the labels tab active.
- Paste the address you copied in the Address text box as needed.
Choosing your label type
You need to know the type of printable label you purchased so that you can choose the option that is compatible. Continue with the steps below:
- Click on the Options button to display the Label Options dialog box.
- In the Label Options dialog, under the printer information, select the type of printer you have. If you are using a laser or inkjet printer, just lave the default Page Printers option selected.
- Under the Label information, choose the manufacturer of your label from the Label vendors drop-down list.
- After selecting the label vendor, choose the product number for the label you are printing.
- Click on OK.
- From the Envelopes and Labels dialog, specify the number of labels to print. You have the option to print the entire page of the same label or print a single label.
- Click on Print after inserting the labels into the tray of your printer.
If you are printing returning address labels, click to enable Use return address. If you enable this option, Word will use the address from the Mailing address text box in the Advanced tab in Word Options. So, go to Word options, in the Advanced tab under the General group, type your returning address in the Mailing address field.