In today’s fast-paced digital world, people are increasingly using Google Sheets to manage and organize data. Whether it’s for creating to-do lists, tracking expenses, or compiling data for a project, Google Sheets have proven to be a versatile tool you can always trust to get the job done.
However, there are times when the data you have entered or imported into Google Sheets contains unwanted hyperlinks.
In today’s guide, we will show you a detailed step-by-step guide on how you can quickly remove hyperlinks in Google Sheets. Whether you have tried to remove hyperlinks from Google Sheets in the past or this is your first time trying, rest assured that this guide will make the process seamless.
Let’s cut to the chase and get into the details, shall we?
Removing hyperlinks in Google Sheets
Did you know that removing hyperlinks in Google Sheets is simple and straightforward? Think we are bluffing? Read our step-by-step guide on how you can seamlessly remove hyperlinks in Google Sheets.
Below, we have put together a sample sheet featuring a list of top TV shows. And since we copied this data online, you’ll notice there are hyperlinks for each TV show featured on our list.
Here is a step-by-step tutorial on how you can remove hyperlinks from each cell.
- Start off by selecting the cells where you’d like to remove the hyperlinks. For our sample data, we will select cells A2 to A11.
- After selecting the cells, you can proceed to right-click anywhere on the selection and navigate all the way down to “view more cell actions.”
- Now, click on the “Remove link” option
If you followed the steps precisely as we highlighted above, you should notice the hyperlink is no longer embedded to each show featured on your sheets. Here is what your sheet should look like.
Note: Let’s say you only want to remove a hyperlink from a specific cell; you can simply do so by hovering your cursor over the cell where you’d like to remove the hyperlink. This action will present you with some options, including the “Remove link” icon, which you can click to delete the hyperlink.
Here is a demonstration of how to remove hyperlinks from a single cell in Google Sheets.
Also, keep in mind that the methods we have highlighted so far will also work in instances where you created the links using Google Sheets HYPERLINK function.
How to remove hyperlinks in Google Sheets using paste special
Besides the methods we have shown you above for removing hyperlinks in Google Sheets, we want to take things up a notch by showing you how to remove hyperlinks in Google sheets using the paste special option.
What’s unique about the method we are about to show you is that it is easier and stress-free. All you need to do is copy the content of your spreadsheet and paste it as a value somewhere in your spreadsheet.
For this example, we will use the sample data used for the earlier methods of removing hyperlinks in Google Sheets.
Below is a quick guide on how to copy text and paste it as values in Google Sheets
- Start by choosing the cells that have hyperlinks. For our sample data, we will select cells A2 to A11.
- Once you have selected or highlighted the cells, you can proceed to copy these cells. If you use a Windows laptop or computer, you can use the keyboard shortcut “Control + C.” For those using MAC, you can use the “Command + C” shortcut to achieve the same result.
- Now, head to the cell where you’d like to paste the data and right-click. For the purpose of this guide, we will use cell B2.
- Navigate to the “Paste special option” and select “Values Only”
If you executed the above steps exactly as we outlined, you should notice that the data in Cells B2 to B11 are without hyperlinks. Here is what your spreadsheet should look like.
Now, you can go ahead and copy the data without the hyperlinks and replace it with the data in the hyperlinks.
That wasn’t so difficult, was it?
Remove hyperlinks in Google Sheets using a formula
Another easy and exciting way to remove hyperlinks in Google Sheets is to use a very simple formula. This formula will give you the same data in those cells but without all the formatting and hyperlinks.
What we love most about this method is that the generated result will automatically be updated whenever you make changes to the original data.
For this method, we will use the same sample data we used for the other methods,
Assuming you have a set of data in Google Sheets, as shown below, and you want to remove the hyperlinks in Column A.
- Start by choosing the cell where you’d like the data without hyperlinks to be generated. For this tutorial, we will use Cell B2.
- Now, head to the formula bar and type the formula below:
- Finally, hit the Enter button, and you should see a new data generated in Cell B2 without the hyperlinks.
Now, instead of repeating the same process for the other cells, you can simply use the Google Sheets autofill option to generate the result for other cells automatically. The below video shows you exactly how to do it.
Removing hyperlinks in Google Sheets has to be one of the easiest things to do. And in today’s guide, we have gone over a few ways you can remove hyperlinks in Google Sheets without hassle. If for any reason, you’re confused, you can simply go over the steps outlined in today’s guide for better clarity.
We hope today’s guide has been helpful.
Let us know in the comment section if you have used any of the methods listed in this guide. Feel free to share your experience and recommendations with other readers.
For more insightful Google Sheets tutorials, you are welcome to explore our blog, as we have plenty of tutorials you’ll love.
Disclosure: This page may contain a few affiliate links, which means if you buy something through them, we may get a commission (without any extra cost to you).