The quickest way to single space in Word is to use a keyboard shortcut which is very simple.
The shortcut to single space in word is Ctrl+1
To use the shortcut to single space in Microsoft Word, before pressing Ctrl+1, highlight the entire document by pressing CTRL+A if you want the single space command to apply to the whole document, or select only the paragraph or paragraphs which you want the single space to apply to, then press Ctrl+1.
Related link: How to double space in Word
The above shortcut will quickly reduce your document spacing to a single space format. However, if you want a detailed option on how to perform this task, keep reading.
You may need to set your document spacing in word in order to improve readability. Or to conform to your project’s requirements.
For instance, most business letters use double space or a limited amount of space between lines, whereas most academic reports require single-spaced formatting.
Therefore, if you want a step by step guide on how to perform this task, obey the following instructions:
- Highlight the paragraph or paragraph you wish to single-space.
If it is the whole Word document you want to single space, press Ctrl+A to highlight all the content of the document. However, if it is part of the document you wish to single space, select the content of that section.
- After selecting the section, you wish to single space, press Ctrl+1. This is the shortcut to single-spacing in Word.
- Alternatively, go to the Home tab, in the Paragraph group, click on the line and paragraph spacing and select 1.0.
After applying these steps, you’ll notice that the space between the lines has narrowed.
This is how you may single space your text in Microsoft Word.
Articles you may find interesting:
- How to create a Table of Content in Word automatically.
- Two ways to convert a Word document into pdf
- How to add a checkbox in word
- Five ways to insert a bullet point symbol [•] in word (+ shortcuts)
- How to insert the current Date or Time in Word
- Easy way to add page borders in Word
- How do you delete pages in MS Word
- Adding footnotes and Endnotes in Word
- How to insert symbols in Word