This post will cover several methods for obtaining the Dagger symbol in Microsoft Word, including using your keyboard.
However, before we begin, you may get this symbol by copying and pasting it from the button below.
Dagger Symbol Alt Code Shortcut (Windows)
The Alt Code shortcut for the Dagger Symbol is Alt + 0134. To type with this method, press and hold one of the Alt keys on your keyboard while using the numeric keypad to enter the Alt code, then release the Alt key.
This method requires that your keyboard have a separate numeric keypad with Num Lock enabled. It also works on Windows only.
On Windows, alt codes are used to type symbols or characters that are not available on the keyboard.
This method is extremely beneficial because it saves a significant amount of time when trying to type special characters.
The following are the detailed steps you can take to type the Dagger symbol on Windows using the Alt Code keyboard shortcut:
- Open your document where the Dagger symbol is to be typed.
- The cursor should be positioned in the desired location.
- Press and hold on one of your keyboard’s Alt Keys.
- As you hold down the Alt key, use the numeric keypad on the right to type the Dagger Alt code (0134)
- Release the alt key after typing the code.
As soon as you let go of the Alt key, the Dagger symbol will appear.
The following rules must be followed in order for the Dagger Alt Code to work.
- Before typing the code, you must hold down the Alt key.
- To type the alt code, you must use the numeric keypad on the right side of the keyboard.
- The NumLock must be enabled because you are using the 10-key numeric keypad. When you turn off NumLock, the number keys become disabled, and you won’t be able to type any numbers.
- If you’re using a laptop that doesn’t have a numeric keypad, you’ll need to activate the hidden numeric keypad first. On most laptops, you can turn it on by pressing the Fn + NmLk keys at the same time. A hidden numeric keypad isn’t found on every laptop. If it doesn’t appear in yours, you won’t be able to type symbols using the alt code method unless you connect an external keyboard with a numeric keypad or use the on-screen keyboard. Yet still, you can use the other methods discussed in this guide.
- You should also be aware that, depending on the text editor you’re using, not all symbols can be typed with the alt code. Only Microsoft Word recognizes some of the alt codes.
Dagger Symbol Shortcut (Mac)
The Dagger Symbol shortcut for Mac is Option + T.
The Alt code method is only for Windows and can only be used on that platform.
However, this shortcut will work for you if you’re using a Mac PC.
Follow the directions below to use this Mac keyboard shortcut:
- Open the document where you want to type the symbol.
- Press and hold the Option key.
- As you hold on to this key, simply press once on the T key.
- Then release the Option key.
You can type the Dagger sign anywhere with your Mac keyboard if you follow the above steps correctly.
Shortcut to type Dagger Sign (MS Word)
MS Word shortcut to type the Dagger symbol is 2020, Alt + X.
While the Alt code and Mac shortcut mentioned above can be used to type this symbol anywhere, including Microsoft Word, this shortcut can only be used in Word.
To use this shortcut, open your Microsoft Word document, position the insertion pointer where you want to type the Dagger symbol, and then follow the simple instructions below:
- Simply type 2020.
- Then press Alt plus X simultaneously.
- If it doesn’t work, highlight the code before pressing the Alt and X keys simultaneously.
When you press Alt + X after typing the Unicode, the symbol appears in place of the Unicode.
Insert Dagger Symbol from the Office Symbol Library
If using the keyboard isn’t your thing, there’s also a mouse-based method for getting the Dagger symbol in Office apps like Microsoft Word, Excel, or PowerPoint.
To explain the steps, we’ll use screenshots from Microsoft Word. You can, however, use the same method in Excel and PowerPoint.
Without further ado, here are the steps to take:
- Launch MS Word or Excel or PowerPoint.
- Place your cursor at the desired place.
- Navigate to the Insert tab.
- Click the Symbols button in the Symbols group, then select More Symbols from the drop-down menu.
The Symbol window will appear. It contains a gazillion of symbols which include the Dagger symbol.
- Find the Dagger symbol in the symbol library.
To easily locate this symbol, use the Subset dropdown list to display specific types of symbols. You can find the Dagger symbol in the General Punctuations group in the Subset list.
However, the fastest way to get this symbol is to type the Unicode 2020 in the Character code text box. Once you type the Unicode, the Dagger symbol will be filtered out and selected.
- To insert it into your document, simply double-click on it. Alternatively, click the Insert button.
- Close the Dialog.
If you follow the above steps carefully, you can insert the Dagger symbol in Word or any other symbol or character not available on the keyboard.
Copy and Paste Dagger Symbol
This is by far the simplest way to obtain any symbol, including the Dagger sign.
You simply need to copy the symbol somewhere, such as a web page and then press Ctrl + V after switching to the document where you need it.
If you want to copy the symbol, you can do so below.
If you have a Windows PC, the steps below will show you how to copy this symbol from the Character Map.
- Search and Launch the Character Map app.
- Near the button, select the Advance View checkbox to expand more Character map options.
- In the Advanced view you will see a search box. Type Dagger in there and press Enter.
- The symbol will appear in the search results.
- Simply double click on it and hit on the Copy button after it is selected in the Characters to copy text box.
Obtaining symbols that do not have keys on the keyboard can be difficult.
However, with the assistance of the methods and instructions discussed here, it should no longer be a difficult task.
Thank you very much for taking the time to read this guide.