There are several ways of typing roman numerals in Microsoft Word.
The obvious option is to just type them into your document. However, there’s an automated way that allows you to type the English numerals and then convert it to the roman numeral list.
Without further ado, below are the steps to type roman numerals in Word using the format list feature.
- Type the English numerals vertically up to the number you wish the roman numerals to stop at. In this example, I’ll type from 1 to 10. You can type as many as you want.
- Select all the English numerals you just typed
- Go to Home>Paragraph>Numbering and select either the uppercase roman numerals or lowercase roman numerals.
At this point, the English numbering will turn into a numbered list with the roman numerals.
Numbering pages with roman numerals
You may have seen Word documents whose page numbers was roman numerals.
Microsoft Word allows the flexibility of using roman numerals as page numbers.
To use roman numerals as page numbers in Word, obey the instructions below:
- Identify where you want the page numbers to be placed. Whether in the footer or header. The footer is at the bottom of the page whilst the header is on top of the page.
- Go to the Insert tab and click on Page Number in the Header & Footer group.
- From the page number drop-down, select the page numbering location and style to insert the page numbers.
By default, the English numbering will be inserted across all the pages. The rest of the instructions below will show how to change these numbering to roman numerals.
- After inserting the page numbers successfully, go to Page Number > Format Page Numbers on the Insert tab.
- The Page Number Format dialog will appear, click on the Number format option and select either the uppercase roman numerals or lowercase roman numerals.
- Click OK.
This how you may insert page numbers with roman numerals in Word.
Articles you may find interesting:
- How to create a Table of Content in Word automatically.
- Two ways to convert a Word document into pdf
- How to add a checkbox in word
- Five ways to insert a bullet point symbol [•] in word (+ shortcuts)
- How to insert the current Date or Time in Word
- Easy way to add page borders in Word
- How do you delete pages in MS Word
- Adding footnotes and Endnotes in Word
- How to insert symbols in Word