Quick Help to Insert the Infinity symbol
The table below contains the Infinity symbol text you can copy and paste into your document. It also has the Alt code as well as the keyboard shortcut.
To type the infinity symbol text, first, type the Alt Code (221E), then press Alt+X on your keyboard to convert the code into the symbol.
The above table contains all you need to insert this symbol into your Word document.
However, if you are not satisfied with this quick help, below is a detailed guide on how to insert the Infinity symbol or any other symbol.
The infinity symbol ∞ (sometimes called the lemniscate) is a mathematical symbol representing the concept of infinity.
In Microsoft Word, you can effortlessly type some special symbols directly from your keyboard. One is the copyright symbol ©, which you can insert by entering the text (C) and letting the AutoCorrect handle the rest.
There are other symbols which are readily available as second keys on the keyboard. One is the % symbol, which you can insert by pressing Shift+5 hotkeys.
Other symbols, however, aren’t that easy to type using the keyboard. One is the Infinity symbol (∞).
To insert this symbol, you need to search through Word’s library of symbols or use the symbol’s Alt code, or the symbol’s shortcut.
how to Insert Infinity Symbol Text in Word
Below are the two easy steps to insert this symbol in Word.
- On the Insert tab, click the Symbol button and choose More Symbols…
These few clicks will display the Symbol dialog box. Now it’s time to hunt for the symbol you want to insert.
Scroll down or up until you find the Infinity Symbol Text in the symbol’s library.
- Select it, then click Insert.
Alternatively, you can double-click on the symbol to insert it into your document.
- After inserting the symbol, close the symbol dialog.
If you cannot find the symbol, look at the bottom right area of the Symbol dialog box and select Unicode (hex) in the from: drop-down. Then look again at the top right area of the dialog and select Mathematical Operators in the Subset: drop-down.
This will filter out all the mathematical symbols including the infinity Symbol Text you are looking for.
Infinity symbol Alt code (Shortcut)
Every character or symbol in Word has a code which you can use to insert that character or symbol into your document. The Infinity symbol is not an exception.
The Alt code for the Infinity symbol is 221E.
Below are the steps to type this symbol on your keyboard using the Alt code:
- Place the insertion pointer at where you want to insert the symbol.
- Type the Alt code (221E)
- Then press Alt+X to convert the code into an infinity symbol Text.
Copy and paste the symbol
Aside from using the symbol library and the alt code, you can also copy and paste the Infinity symbol if it already exists in your document. Or you can copy it from elsewhere like a web page.
Below is the Infinity symbol if you want to copy and paste it into your work:
Using AutoCorrect to type Infinity symbol
Another way to obtain the Infinity symbol Text is through the use of the AutoCorrect feature.
It is a facility designed for correcting spelling mistakes like adn to and.
Using this feature, you can assign a code to the Infinity symbol (such as INFSYM).
This way, whenever you type the text INFSYM, Word will think that you actually wanted to type ∞ and will convert it into the Infinity symbol automatically.
What makes this approach interesting is that you can assign any code you want to the symbol and Word will be more than glad to give it to you whenever you type the code.
Without further ado, here are the steps to use the AutoCorrect technique to insert Infinity symbol on Word.
- Go to Insert→Symbols→Symbol→More Symbols to display the Symbol dialog box.
- Click to select the Infinity symbol from the library of symbols.
- Click on the AutoCorrect… button to display the AutoCorrect dialog.
- In the Replace: box, type INFSYM (or any AutoCorrect text you want to assign to the Infinity symbol Text)
- In the With: box, make sure it contains the Infinity symbol. You can press 221E followed by Alt+X to insert the symbol or copy and paste from a document or a webpage.
- Click Add, then click OK.
Word will automatically insert the Infinity symbol into your document whenever you type INFSYM.
Below are a few things to note though when you are using the AutoCorrect Method to insert the Infinity sign.
- AutoCorrect is case sensitive. Meaning if you type infsym (in lowercase), Word will not convert it into the Infinity symbol unless you type INFSYM (in uppercase).
- If there is any text before INFSYM, Word will consider the code as part of the text and hence will not convert it to the Infinity symbol. For example, XINFSYM will not get converted, but X INFSYM will get converted to X ∞.
Ann Maria Najjuma
Monday 4th of July 2022
This was very helpful! Thanks! I was having a hard time finding the infinity symbol.
Monday 4th of July 2022
Thanks for the positive comment
Wednesday 25th of March 2020
Type infinity it's simple