This is a very thorough guide with several methods you can use to insert or type the Paragraph Symbol or Pilcrow Sign (¶) anywhere on your PC, like Microsoft Word/Excel/PowerPoint, whether you are using the Windows or on the Mac keyboard. You’ll learn all the easy methods including the Paragraph Alt code shortcut.
NOTE: This post not a guide for showing or hiding the paragraph marks in MS Word. It is a guide on how to insert or type this symbol into your work using your keyboard. However, if you are looking for a guide to hide and unhide the Pilcorow/paragraph marks, please click here.
Without any wasting much time, let’s get started.
Quick Guide for typing the Paragraph symbol (¶)
To type the Paragraph Symbol anywhere on your PC or Laptop keyboard (like in Microsoft Word or Excel), press Option + 7 shortcut for Mac. And if you are using Windows, simply press down the Alt key and type 0182 using the numeric keypad on the right side of your keyboard.
However, to type this symbol in MS Word, just type 00B6, select it and then press Alt + X to get the Paragraph sign.
The table below contains everything you need to know to be able to type this symbol on both Windows and Mac.
|Name of Symbol||Pilcrow sign|
|Symbol Alt Code||0182|
|Shortcut for Windows||Alt + 0182|
|Shortcut for Mac||Option + 7|
|Shortcut in Word-1||00B6, Alt+X|
More details about typing the Paragraph Symbol
Whether you are using Windows or Mac, the above information is enough for you to write the Paragraph sign into your Word/Excel document.
However, if you are not satisfied with this quick help, keep reading below as I will explain in detail, how to get the Paragraph symbol or any other symbol anywhere on your Mac or Windows PC like in MS Word/Excel/PowerPoint.
As you may already know, there are several dual-purpose keys on the keyboard for both Windows and Mac. That is to say that there are symbols readily available as second keys on the keyboard. Just by pressing two or more keys simultaneously, you can easily insert such symbols into your work. For instance, pressing Shift + 7 keys give you the Ampersand (&) sign.
However, other symbols aren’t printed on the keyboard as second keys. This makes it difficult to type. One of these symbols is the Pilcrow Symbol (¶).
Typing becomes very difficult for you if you need to add some of these symbols regularly into your work.
But it doesn’t have to be difficult. Especially now that you are reading this step-by-step guide.
How to Insert Pilcrow/Paragraph symbol in Word/Excel
In the following sections, I will show you all the easy ways to type or insert this symbol (Pilcrow – ¶) anywhere on your Windows or Mac PC (such as Word or Excel or PowerPoint).
In a couple of minutes, I’ll explain several methods you can use to get the Pilcrow (¶) and any other symbol as and when the need arises.
As a quick guide, press down the Alt key and type 0182 alt code on your numeric keypad. You can also press Option + 7 on Mac.
However, without any further ado, below are the methods explained into details.
1. Pilcrow Symbol Shortcuts (Windows and Mac)
The Paragraph Symbol Shortcut for Mac is Option + 7.
Windows has several shortcuts, some of which works only in Microsoft Word.
However, there’s a Windows shortcut for the Paragraph Sign that works across all applications. It is the alt code shortcut which is Alt+0182 (will be discussed in the next section).
The Paragraph Symbol shortcut for Microsoft Word is 00B6, Alt X. This works in Microsoft Word Only.
To use this on Windows (for Word), obey the following instructions:
- Place the insertion pointer in the right place.
- Type 00B6 on your keyboard, then press Alt + X.
This will convert the numbers into the Paragraph symbol at where you place the insertion pointer.
Below is a breakdown on how to use the Paragraph symbol shortcut for Mac:
- First of all, place the insertion pointer where you need to insert the symbol.
- Now, using the Mac keyboard, Press Option + 7 simultaneously.
This shortcut should insert the symbol for you on your Mac PC.
In the next section, I’ll show you how to use the Paragraph Symbol Alt Code to type the symbol on your keyboard.
2. Paragraph Symbol Alt Code (For Windows Windows)
The Paragraph (¶) Symbol Alt Code is 0182.
Every symbol in Word has a unique code that you can use to insert the symbol into your document. This code is well known as “Alt code”.
Below are the steps to type this symbol on your keyboard (using the Alt code provided above:
- Press the num lock key to enable the numeric keypad. Use Fn key + NumLk keys to turn on Num Lock on laptops without the numeric keypad.
- Press and hold the Alt key and type 0182 using the numeric keypad.
- After typing the Alt code (i.e. 0182), release the [Alt] key you pressed down.
As soon as you release the Alt Key, the Paragraph (¶) symbol should appear in your document.
3. Copy and paste Paragraph symbol
Use the button below to copy and paste the Paragraph symbol for your work.
My favorite method for inserting symbols is the copy and paste.
With this method, all you need to do is google the symbol you need to type, then copy it from one of the search results provided. Once you get the symbol into your document, you can always recopy and paste it as and when the need arises.
Use the button above to get this symbol on your clipboard.
There is another way to copy this and any other symbol on Windows. It involved using the Windows Character Map.
Obey the steps below to copy and paste any symbol using the character map.
- Search for the Character map app by clicking on the Start button.
- The Character map app will show up in the search results. Click on it to launch.
- After the Character Map window opens up, click to check the Advance View checkbox to expand the window for more advanced options.
- On the Advanced View section, type Pilcrow in the search box.
- The symbol you searched for (i.e. the Paragraph symbol) will now appear on the Character map. Double click on it to select it. You’ll see that the symbol appears in the Characters to copy text box. This allows you to select and copy several symbols at the same time.
- After selecting the symbol, you wish to copy, click on the Copy button.
- Switch over to wherever you need the symbol, whether in MS Word, Excel, or PowerPoint, and press Ctrl + V to paste.
This is how you may copy and paste the Paragraph sign using the Character Map on Windows.
4. Using Insert Symbol Dialog
This approach isn’t as straight forward as the shortcut methods. But it’s fairly simple.
And once you get the symbol into your document, you can always copy and paste it again as and when you need it in your work.
Below are the steps to insert the Paragraph Sign in Word using the insert symbol dialog.
- Go to the Insert tab.
- On the Insert tab, click the Symbol button and choose More Symbols…
These few clicks will bring up the Symbol dialog box.
- Locate the Symbol you want to insert.
To easily find the Paragraph symbol on the Symbols window, look at the bottom area of the dialog and type 00B6 in the Character code: field. The Paragraph symbol you want to insert will be selected after typing the code.
- Click on the Insert button.
Alternatively, double-clicking on the symbol will also insert the symbol into your document.
- Click the Close button.
This is how you may insert the Pilcrow symbol in Word using the insert symbol dialog.
As you can see, these are the various ways you may insert or type the Paragraph symbol in Word/Excel with or without using the keyboard.
My favorite method is using the copy and paste method followed by the shortcuts. The Alt Code method also comes simple.
For any comments or questions about this Paragraph sign guide, please let me know in the comments section below.
Thanks for reading.