By default, Word documents have only one column of text. There are several ways you can split a page in Word document to get two columns (i.e. Spit into Half). However, in this tutorial, I’ll walk you through the two most easy ways you can use to effortlessly split your pages in Word. One involved using columns and the other involved using tables.
By splitting a page in Word, you can divide the text so that it flows in separate columns across the page.
Without further ado, below are the options you can use to split a page or pages in MS Word.
Using Two Columns to Vertically split a page (in half) in Word
To split pages in Word with the help of columns:
- Select the text on the page you want to split into two halves.
- Don’t select any text if you want to split all pages in your Word document.
- Click on the Layout tab.
- In the Page Setup group, click on the Columns button. A shortcut menu appears with five column options.
- To split your page or pages equally, choose the Two-column option.
- Use the Three column option to split your page or pages into three parts.
- However, if you want to split your page into more than three columns, click on More Columns.
- The column dialog box will appear. Make the necessary settings. In the Number of Columns box, type the number of columns you wish to split your pages in to. Click the Line between check-box if you want to split your pages with a line dividing the columns.
- Click OK.
In Word, section break affects columns. Thus, if your document has only one section, then the columns apply to all the pages. However, if your document contains more than one sections, the splitting will apply to only the pages on the current section
This is how you may split a page in Word using columns.
Splitting pages using tables
This option involves using grid tables as a layout to split your page the way you want. With the tables option, you can split your page into halves or even four grid parts if you want to display four separate images, charts or even blog of text.
Below is how it works:
- To split a page into two equal parts:
- Use the Insert table command to insert a table with two columns and one row.
- Using the table resizer at the bottom right corner of the table, click and drag to resize the table to cover the part of the page you want to split.
- Fill in your content on both sides of the table.
- Remove the borders or hide the table lines. To hide the line borders of a table, first, select the entire table and go to the Table Tools Design tab, click on Borders, the list of borders appears, choose No Border. This will remove all the table borders leaving you with two columns of text.
These are the two simple ways to split a page in Word.
Articles you may find interesting:
- Reorder pages in Word
- Two ways to make a Word document a pdf
- How to add a checkbox in word
- Five ways to insert a bullet point symbol [•] in word (+ shortcuts)
- How to insert the current Date or Time in Word
- Deleting pages in Word
- How to alphabetize in word 2010/2013/2016/2019
- Insert symbols in Word
- How to Add Emoji for Word (with shortcuts)
- Microsoft Word symbols Shortcuts for Mac
- How to change text direction in Word [Rotate Text]
- Table of Content in Word: The complete guide
- How to add a border in word (for Pages/Images/Text Boxes)