In this tutorial, you’ll learn a step-by-step approach to type or insert the triangle symbol anywhere on Windows or Mac PC such as in Microsoft Word, Excel or PowerPoint.
As a quick rescue, you can utilize the copy and paste button below to get the Triangle symbol in your work for free.
However, if you just want to type this symbol on your keyboard, the instructional methods below will show you how.
Triangle Symbol [∆] Quick Guide
If you want to type the Triangle Symbol on Mac, press Option + J shortcut on the keyboard. For Windows users, just press down the Alt key and type the alt code (30) using the numeric keypad, then let go of the Alt key. This alt code method will give you a black triangle.
These shortcuts can work on any software including MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, on both Windows and Mac.
Below table contains all the information you need to type the Triangle Symbol on keyboard for both Mac and Windows.
|Symbol Name||Black Triangle|
|Shortcut for Windows||Alt+30|
|Shortcut for Mac||Option + J|
|Shortcut for Word||2206, Alt+X|
The above quick guide provides some useful shortcuts and alt codes on how to type the Triangle Sign on both Windows and Mac.
You can also explore the table below for different variation of the Triangle symbols with alt codes:
NOTE: These Alt and Alt-X Codes will work only in Microsoft Word.
|Symbol Description||Symbol||Alt Code||Alt X Code|
|Triangular Bullet||‣||Alt + 8227||2023|
|Delta Or Increment||∆||Alt + 8710||2206|
|Normal Subgroup Of||⊲||Alt + 8882||22B2|
|Contains As Normal Subgroup||⊳||Alt + 8883||22B3|
|Right Triangle||⊿||Alt + 8895||22BF|
|Bowtie||⋈||Alt + 8904||22C8|
|Left Normal Factor Semidirect Product||⋉||Alt + 8905||22C9|
|Right Normal Factor Semidirect Product||⋊||Alt + 8906||22CA|
|Conical Taper||⌲||Alt + 9010||2332|
|Black Up-Pointing Triangle||▲||Alt + 9650||25B2|
|White Up-Pointing Triangle||△||Alt + 9651||25B3|
|Black Up-Pointing Small Triangle||▴||Alt + 9652||25B4|
|White Up-Pointing Small Triangle||▵||Alt + 9653||25B5|
|Black Left Pointing Small Triangle||▶||Alt + 9654||25B6|
|White Right-Pointing Triangle||▷||Alt + 9655||25B7|
|Black Right-Pointing Small Triangle||▸||Alt + 9656||25B8|
|White Right-Pointing Small Triangle||▹||Alt + 9657||25B9|
|Black Right Pointing Triangle||►||Alt + 9658||25BA|
|White Right-Pointing Pointer||▻||Alt + 9659||25BB|
|Black Down-Pointing Triangle||▼||Alt + 9660||25BC|
|White Down-Pointing Triangle||▽||Alt + 9661||25BD|
|Black Down-Pointing Small Triangle||▾||Alt + 9662||25BE|
|White Down-Pointing Small Triangle||▿||Alt + 9663||25BF|
|Black Right Pointing Small Triangle||◀||Alt + 9664||25C0|
|White Left-Pointing Triangle||◁||Alt + 9665||25C1|
|Black Left-Pointing Small Triangle||◂||Alt + 9666||25C2|
|White Left-Pointing Small Triangle||◃||Alt + 9667||25C3|
|Black Left Pointing Triangle||◄||Alt + 9668||25C4|
|White Left-Pointing Pointer||◅||Alt + 9669||25C5|
|Black Lower Right Triangle||◢||Alt + 9698||25E2|
|Black Lower Left Triangle||◣||Alt + 9699||25E3|
|Black Upper Left Triangle||◤||Alt + 9700||25E4|
|Black Upper Right Triangle||◥||Alt + 9701||25E5|
|White Up-Pointing Triangle With Dot||◬||Alt + 9708||25EC|
|Up-Pointing Triangle With Left Half Black||◭||Alt + 9709||25ED|
|Up-Pointing Triangle With Right Half Black||◮||Alt + 9710||25EE|
|Warning Sign||⚠||Alt + 9888||26A0|
|Triangle With Dot Above||⧊||Alt + 10698||29CA|
|Triangle With Underbar||⧋||Alt + 10699||29CB|
|S In Triangle||⧌||Alt + 10700||29CC|
|Triangle With Serifs At Bottom||⧍||Alt + 10701||29CD|
|Right Triangle Above Left Triangle||⧎||Alt + 10702||29CE|
|Left Triangle Beside Vertical Bar||⧏||Alt + 10703||29CF|
|Vertical Bar Beside Right Triangle||⧐||Alt + 10704||29D0|
|Bowtie With Left Half Black||⧑||Alt + 10705||29D1|
|Bowtie With Right Half Black||⧒||Alt + 10706||29D2|
|Black Bowtie||⧓||Alt + 10707||29D3|
|Times With Left Half Black||⧔||Alt + 10708||29D4|
|Times With Right Half Black||⧕||Alt + 10709||29D5|
|White Hourglass||⧖||Alt + 10710||29D6|
|Black Hourglass||⧗||Alt + 10711||29D7|
|Down-Pointing Triangle With Left Half Black||⧨||Alt + 10728||29E8|
|Down-Pointing Triangle With Right Half Black||⧩||Alt + 10729||29E9|
|Join||⨝||Alt + 10781||2A1D|
|Large Left Triangle Operator||⨞||Alt + 10782||2A1E|
|Plus Sign In Triangle||⨹||Alt + 10809||2A39|
|Minus Sign In Triangle||⨺||Alt + 10810||2A3A|
|Multiplication Sign In Triangle||⨻||Alt + 10811||2A3B|
|Z Notation Domain Antirestriction||⩤||Alt + 10852||2A64|
|Z Notation Range Antirestriction||⩥||Alt + 10853||2A65|
|Triangular Ruler||📐||Alt + 128208||1F4D0|
|Up-Pointing Red Triangle||🔺||Alt + 128314||1F53A|
|Down-Pointing Red Triangle||🔻||Alt + 128315||1F53B|
|Up-Pointing Small Red Triangle||🔼||Alt + 128316||1F53C|
|Down-Pointing Small Red Triangle||🔽||Alt + 128317||1F53D|
Also, below are some other methods you can use to insert this symbol into your work such as Word or Excel document.
How to type Triangle Symbol [text] in Word/Excel
Microsoft Office provides several methods for typing Triangle Symbol or inserting symbols that do not have dedicated keys on the keyboard.
In this section, I will make available for you five different methods you can use to type or insert the Triangle Sign on your PC, like in MS Office (ie. Word, Excel, or PowerPoint) for both Mac and Windows users.
Without any further ado, let’s get started.
Using the Triangle Symbol Alt Code (Windows Only)
The Triangle Symbol alt code is 30. Even though the Triangle Symbol does not have a dedicated key on the keyboard, you can still type it on the keyboard with the Alt code method. To do this, press and hold the Alt key whilst pressing the Triangle Symbol Alt code (i.e. 30) using the numeric keypad.
This method works on Windows only. And your keyboard must also have a numeric keypad.
Below is a break-down of the steps you can take to type the Triangle Sign on your Windows PC:
- Place your insertion pointer where you need the Triangle Symbol text.
- Press and hold one of the Alt keys on your keyboard.
- Whilst holding on to the Alt key, press the Triangle Symbol’s alt code (30). You must use the numeric keypad to type the alt code. If you are using a laptop without the numeric keypad, this method may not work for you. On some laptops, there’s a hidden numeric keypad which you can enable by pressing Fn+NmLk on the keyboard.
- Release the Alt key after typing the Triangle Sign Alt code to insert the Symbol into your document.
This is how you may type this symbol in Word using the Alt Code method.
Using the Triangle Symbol Shortcut (Mac and Windows)
For Mac users, the keyboard shortcut for the Triangle Symbol is Option + J. For Windows users, use the Alt Code method by pressing down the [Alt] key whilst typing the Triangle symbol alt code which is 30. You must use the numeric keypad to type the alt code. Also, ensure that your Num Lock key is turned on.
Below is a breakdown of the Triangle Symbol shortcut for Mac:
- First of all, place the insertion pointer where you need to type the Triangle symbol (▲).
- Now, press Option + J simultaneously on your keyboard to insert the symbol.
Below is a breakdown of the Triangle Symbol shortcut for Windows:
- Place the insertion pointer at the desired location.
- Press and hold down the Alt key
- While pressing down the Alt key, type 30 using the numeric keypad to insert the symbol.
Below is an Alternative for typing the Triangle Symbol on Word:
- First, place your insertion pointer at the right place.
- Type this code: 2206
- Now select the code and press Alt+X on your keyboard.
These are the steps you may use to type Triangle Symbol in Word or Excel.
Copy and Paste Triangle Sign ▲ (text)
Another easy way to get the Triangle Symbol on any PC is to use my favorite method: copy and paste.
All you have to do is to copy the symbol from somewhere like a web page, or the character map for windows users, and head over to where you need the symbol (say in Word or Excel), then hit Ctrl+V to paste.
Below is the symbol for you to copy and paste into your Word document. Just select it and press Ctrl+C to copy, switch over to Microsoft Word, place your insertion pointer at the desired location and press Ctrl+V to paste.
Alternatively, just use the copy button at the beginning of this post.
For windows users, obey the following instructions to copy and paste the Triangle Symbol using the character map dialog box.
- Click on the Start button and search for Character Map. The Character Map app will appear in the search results, click to open.
- The Character Map dialog will appear. Click to check the Advanced view check-box to expand the dialog box for more advanced options.
- On the advanced view, type Increment in the Search box.
- You should now see the Triangle Symbol on the character map dialog. If you can’t see it, then you should look through the library of symbols to spot it. When found, double click it to select. Alternatively, click on the Select button.
- After you select the symbol by double-clicking it, it should appear in the Character to copy: field, then click on the Copy button to copy the symbol.
- Switch to your Microsoft Word or Excel document, place the insertion pointer at the desired location, and press Ctrl+V to paste.
This is how you may use the Character Map dialog to copy and paste any symbol on Windows PC.
Using insert Symbol dialog box (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
The insert symbol dialog box is a library of symbols from where you can insert any symbol into your Word document with just a couple of mouse clicks.
Obey the following steps to insert the Triangle Symbol in Word using the insert symbol dialog box.
- Open your Word document.
- Click to place the insertion pointer where you wish to insert the symbol.
- Go to the Insert tab.
- In the Symbols category, click on the Symbol drop-down and select the More Symbols button.
- The Symbol dialog box will appear. In the Subset drop-down list, select Mathematical Operators to display symbols in this category which includes the Triangle Symbol.
- Select the symbol and click on the Insert button. Alternatively, double click on the symbol to insert it into your Word document.
- Close the dialog.
The symbol will then be inserted exactly where you placed the insertion pointer.
These are the steps you may use to insert the Triangle Symbol in Word.
As you can see, there are several different methods you can use to type the Triangle Sign in Microsoft Word.
Using the shortcuts for both Windows and Mac makes the fastest option for this task. Shortcuts are always fast.
Thank you very much for reading this blog.
If you have anything thing to say or questions to ask concerning the Triangle Symbol, please drop it in the comments.