Are you a YouTuber who produces video content regularly and looking for the best video editing software to give you an edge? Well, you’re in luck today, as our guide will provide you with a list of the best video editing software that will make your job super easy.
Whether you’re an amateur just trying to find your footing in video content creation, an experienced video content creator looking to improve the quality of content you put out, or an established videographer who wants to refine your work, rest assured that having access to the right tools will help you achieve your goals.
With the advancement in technology, you’ll be surprised at the myriad of video editing tools available on the market. The best YouTube video editing solutions feature robust functionalities, including special effects, filters, grading, and audio production tools guaranteed to help you produce professional video content.
The cherry on top is that these powerful downloadable and online video editing software will make your job easier, especially because they have features and functions that let you improve your workflow.
Even if you’re just starting out with video production, rest assured that you’ll find it super easy to navigate these video editing resources as they are user-friendly. More so, you’ll find hundreds of tutorials online on how you can navigate these video resources. Again, these tools are affordable, so you won’t break the bank to get one that ticks all your boxes.
Read on for our list of the best video editing software YouTubers use in 2022.
Adobe Premiere Pro
Suppose you want a video editing tool with lots of remarkable features and functionalities you can leverage to make your video better. In that case, you won’t go wrong in giving Adobe Premiere Pro a try.
As one of the top video editing software, Adobe Premiere Pro offers some unique propositions you won’t get with other software. With Premiere Pro, users have access to powerful effects, color tools, collaboration, and output options you’ll love.
And since the software works on macOS and Windows, you aren’t limited to one desktop platform or the other. Unfortunately, this powerful editing software is only available by subscription, so you’d have to pay to access its many functionalities. Thankfully, it is affordable. Subscribing to Adobe Premiere Pro will cost you $24.14 per month, which is fair, considering all of the awesome benefits of this software.
Who is it for
Even though Adobe Premiere Pro is great for professional video editors, amateurs can still use it for their video editing work. Premiere Pro is perfect for people who would like to collaborate with others, especially teams using Adobe’s Creative Cloud Suite of applications.
- Adobe Premiere Pro has a clean and flexible user interface
- The software has unlimited multi-cams angles
- It features lots of exciting video production apps
- It has a responsive speed
- Many organizational tools
- Fantastic stabilization tools
- The interface is a bit intimidating for newbies
- Premiere Pro doesn’t include sound effects
- Some video editing techniques require that users have additional applications such as Media Encoder and After Effects, which will cost you extra.
Apple Final Cut Pro
Apple Final Cut Pro is a household name for video editing. Unlike other video editing solutions, Apple’s Final Cut Pro has unique features, including a trackless timeline, rethought, and modern interface.
Those who have used this software for a while will love its flexibility. And just like other top video editing tools, Apple Final Cut Pro has powerful tools and capabilities to help you fine-tune your videos.
Despite only working on Apple computers, Final Cut Pro is a go-to choice for many video editors because of its impeccable functionalities.
Who is Final Cut Pro for?
Seeing the sheer number of movies and shows made using Final Cut Pro, it’s easy to see why the software is great for professional editors. On the flip side, its usability and flexibility make it an excellent choice for amateurs looking to start their video editing career. If you have been using Apple iMovie and want to take your editing skills to the next level, you will be satisfied to explore Final Cut Pro.
- Apple Final Cut Pro has a magnetic and trackless timeline
- It offers Multicam support
- It delivers fast and impeccable performance
- Compared to other editing software, Apple Final Cut has superb organizational tools, including ratings, a rich library, auto analysis for scenes, and face and tagging.
- The software supports 360-degree footage along with wide color spaces.
- Its non-traditional timeline editing may put off long-time video producers
- Its import and export experience doesn’t match what you get with Adobe Premiere Pro.
Thanks to the insane features and functionalities it offers, CyberLink PowerDirector has continued to wow video editors. We love this superb video editor because of its speed and support for new effects and video formats.
While this software will cater to the demands of professional video editors, newbies will also love its user-friendly interface, which makes it easy for them to deploy this software for their video editing needs.
Even though CyberLink PowerDirector has intimidating features and functionalities, newbies will be able to explore these features to refine their videos. From simple clip trimming and joining to VR to keyframe effects to Multicam, you can do so much with CyberLink PowerDirector.
Although CyberLink PowerDirector is available as a one-time purchase, there is also a subscription model for those who prefer that option.
Who can use CyberLink PowerDirector
CyberLink PowerDirector is perfect for YouTubers and video enthusiasts who would love to edit their clips without needing a degree in video or film editing. Even professional video editors and cinematographers will love the software’s unique functionalities.
- Clean and easy-to-navigate user interface
- Superb screen recording
- Lightning-fast project rendering
- Multicam and motion tracking
- CyberLink PowerDirector has an insane collection of AI and effects tools.
The software is a bit advanced for newbies.
Though it has impressive features and functionalities, it still trails the likes of Adobe Premiere Pro in terms of performance.
Despite the sheer number of video editing software available, Apple iMovie has managed to remain on the top. Like many video editing tools, Apple iMovie has an excellent collection of video editing features you’ll love. The recently launched Storyboards feature will wow any video editor, especially because it helps users craft more compelling digital movies.
Besides the Storyboards feature, which we can’t seem to get enough of, Apple iMovie also has other exciting functionalities, including picture-in-picture, audio filters, and chroma keying. Whether you’re a newbie or an experienced video editor, you’ll love what Apple iMovie brings to the table. Plus, this video editing software makes transitioning to Apple Final Cut Pro super easy.
Who is the Apple iMovie for?
Apple iMovie is carefully crafted for non-professionals who would love to add some unique touch to their clips so they look somewhat professional. Additionally, its storyboard feature makes it a brilliant app for those just getting started with filmmaking. Unfortunately, you can only use it on Apple hardware.
- Apple iMovie has a sleek and simple user interface
- It has many classy themes
- Users have access to many exceptional movie templates
- This software has lots of excellent audio tools
- Delivers color matching for a consistent movie look
- Great chroma-keying tool
- In an attempt to achieve simplicity, Apple iMovie is missing many useful controls.
- The software doesn’t have Multicam or motion-tracking capabilities
- Apple iMovie doesn’t currently support 360-degree video editing
- Limited to two video tracks.
Corel VideoStudio Ultimate
Corel VideoStudio Ultimate has earned its place at the top. This powerful video editing tool caught our attention with its awesome stop-motion tool. And as if that’s not enough, it has excellent motion tracking tools, not featured on other software we have highlighted so far.
Despite its many superb functionalities, the team behind this intelligent software has continued to wow users with new useful tools after every upgrade. On top of all that, the software is easy to use and delivers exceptional performance.
If you’re out for a video editing tool that provides you with everything you’ll need to improve your clips and give them that professional touch they are missing, you won’t go wrong in giving Corel Video Ultimate a try.
Who is this software for?
Suppose you’re a YouTuber, amateur videographer, or TikToker looking for a video editing tool that lets you add some professional depth to your clips. In that case, you won’t go wrong in exploring Corel VideoStudio Ultimate.
For professionals looking for a more sophisticated video editing tool that lets them access powerful features and functionalities that helps them polish their videos, you’re welcome to check Pinnacle, a powerful video editing software created by the team behind Corel VideoStudio Ultimate.
Another special thing about Corel VideoStudio Ultimate is that it is affordable and available for a one-time license price.
- Corel Ultimate Studio has loads of snazzy effects
- It has an excellent stop-motion tool
- It delivers impeccable color grading
- With Corel VideoStudio ultimate, you can execute multipoint motion tracking.
- It delivers lightning-speed rendering.
- This software supports 360-degree VR, 3D media, and 4K Ultra HD.
- It doesn’t cater to all the needs of professional video editors.
- The number of options can sometimes be overwhelming.
If you’re a complete newbie and just starting video editing, software like HitFilm Express might feel advanced, especially because the software is used by professional video editors working on Hollywood-style films. Thankfully, you can watch dozens of online tutorials to learn how to use this software.
Compared to other video editing resources, HitFilm Express stands out for us. Not only because it is an all-in-one free video editor but because it comes with many exceptional features and functionalities that will give your content an edge.
While HitFilm Express is free to use, you must share a social media status update when you first download the software, which shouldn’t be a big deal, seeing that the software is free.
HitFilm Express has powerful animation tools, which are great for creating and editing audio and video transitions. The cool thing about this tool is that you don’t have to create composite shots. How cool can that be?
In addition, HitFilm Express also offers powerful 3D effects for music videos, Films, and YouTube videos. Not just that, the software also has several features, including 360-degree editing, special effects, and a rich library that you’ll find on paid video editing applications like Adobe Premiere Pro.
Who is HitFilm Express for?
If you already have some background in video editing, you’ll find HitFilm Express worth trying. The software comes loaded with remarkable features guaranteed to give your videos a definitive edge. Though the interface may be slightly complicated for someone just starting video editing, newbies can take advantage of online video tutorials to get familiar with the app. One thing is certain, once you get the hang of how the software works, there is no stopping you.
- HitFilm Express has motion tracking, cropping tools, and color pickers. This makes it great for professional editing.
- It has an auto stabilizer, which makes shaky clips look smooth.
- With HitFilm Express, you’ll enjoy video and audio timeline track creation.
- It provides access to numerous transition options, including zoom, push, and dissolve.
- It has a powerful auto mixer which is great for fine-tuning sound. This feature ensures your videos have professional quality output.
- Its robust adaptive trimmer lets users re-trim their clips after uploading them to the timeline.
- Our only caveat with this software is that it is designed for professionals. So if you are a newbie, you’ll need some learning curve to navigate this software.
If you’re looking for a top-notch video editing program loaded with many brilliant features and functionalities, you’ll love DaVinci Resolve.
Despite being an advanced software and not easy to use, especially for amateurs, what attracts many people to this software is its full capability free version. This makes the software a brilliant option for both professionals and amateurs alike.
DaVinci Resolve has a node-based editing workflow. We love this option because it offers the ultimate effect control. And just to add, the software has many exciting features, including color grading, keyframing, and audio tools.
The company behind this editing software also makes cameras, consoles, and other gear for professionals.
Who is DaVinci Resolve for?
As we highlighted earlier, DaVinci Resolve is carefully designed for professional editors. In fact, the software has been used to polish many top Hollywood productions, including popular films like Dune, Avatar, Snake on the plan, and many more.
But even though this software targets professional editors, amateurs will still benefit from its generous free version. Additionally, there are plenty of tutorials online that will help you navigate this video editing software without stressing it.
- DaVinci Resolve has many remarkable editing tools. Using these resources delivers precise control.
- The software has a clean, precise, and easy-to-navigate interface
- This video editing software includes motion graphics and audio editing. With other pro editing software, these are separate apps.
- While using this software for your video editing needs, you’ll need to leverage other system resources.
- The software is quite complicated and requires some learning curve for users to know how to use the software.
Pinnacle Studio Ultimate
Pinnacle is a big name in the video editing space. It comes loaded with many remarkable features and functionalities that will benefit both professionals and amateurs alike. If you want editing software with everything you’ll need to polish your videos, you will love what Pinnacle offers.
Although it is a bit advanced, it makes for a great learning curve for amateurs who want to take their video editing skills to the next level. Some of this software’s brilliant features and functionalities include tilting, mask motion tracking, powerful audio tools, and more. These powerful features are guaranteed to bring out the best in your videos.
Despite not being the lowest-priced option on our list of best video editing software, we love that users don’t have to worry about paying a recurrent subscription fee.
In terms of pricing, Pinnacle Studio Ultimate starts from $54.95. Additionally, their Studio Plus and Studio Ultimate plan cost $89.95 and $109.95, respectively.
Who is Pinnacle Studio Ultimate for?
For people looking for more advanced tools to make definitive changes to their video clips, you’ll love the advanced tools and functionalities that Pinnacle offers. Though the software is geared towards professionals, amateurs can make the most of this software by leveraging the hundreds of tutorials online. And the cool thing about opting for this video editing software is that you won’t have to worry about paying recurring subscription fees as the software is available at one-time pricing.
- Pinnacle delivers lightening fast rendering
- It has detailed masking tools
- Pinnacle has a powerful title editor
- The software has plenty of effects you can use for your clips
- It has a clear interface
- Multicam editing
- One of the things we don’t like about Pinnacle is its limited motion tracking.
- This software has uneven 360-degree VR implementation.
Movavi Video Editor
Movavi has earned its place in our list of best video editing software for the right reasons. This software has many advanced tools you can deploy for video editing. More importantly, this software has a brilliant interface that makes it easy to navigate.
Whether you’re a professional or amateur, you’ll love the many exceptional editing tools available on Movavi Video editor. Besides featuring many robust effects and transitions, it also has an excellent selection of soundtracks.
Even though Movavvi Video Editor delivers fast rendering, what we love most is the speed at which it exports edited videos. Plus, the software lets users directly upload their clips to YouTube or Vimeo.
We also love that this software works seamlessly across different environments, including Windows and macOS.
For those wondering how much this video editing software costs, Movavi Video Editor costs only $59.95.
Who is Movavi Video Editor for?
For those just getting into video editing, you’ll love the user-friendly interface Movavi Video Editor offers. On top of its clean and intuitive user interface, Movavi Video Editor also has many appealing editing tools for both video and audio. If you want video editing software that delivers fast rendering and built-in uploading features, you’ll love Movavi Video Editor. And yes, the software is also great for people who don’t want to spend a fortune on editing software.
- Movavi Video Editor has a clear and easy-to-understand user interface
- This software has many useful movie-creation tools
- It delivers transitions with sound.
- Powerful Chroma-key capability
- It has picture-in-picture tools as well as motion tracking.
- Not compatible with Apple’s flagship M1 chip
- The software doesn’t currently have clip pre-trimming or advanced trim modes.
- Compared to other video editing software, rendering on Movavi Video editor is somewhat slow.
Adobe Premiere Elements
Adobe Premiere makes it to our list of best video editing software because of its unique propositions. With Adobe Premiere Elements, you’ll be able to deploy many fantastic effects that would have been complex to achieve with Adobe Premiere Pro.
Though Adobe Premiere Elements has been dubbed a consumer-level program, we love that this software has many top-level editing tools you’ll find on pro-level video editing programs. Again, Adobe Premiere Elements has Guided Edits, which makes it super easy to use.
You’ll fancy Adobe Premiere elements if you want to enjoy your editing sessions without stressing about concepts like keyframes, timecodes, and more.
Adobe Premiere Elements is quite affordable, especially compared to other software. For starters, this software costs $99.99. And since there is no subscription required, you only have to pay once to enjoy lifetime access.
Who is Adobe Premiere Elements for?
Adobe Premiere Elements is carefully designed for both newbies and experienced video editors. Adobe Premiere Elements is a brilliant choice for any video editor because the software allows users to have fun while editing their clips.
This software provides access to brilliant tools you can use to improve your clips and ensures you can do this without paying through your nose. And just to add, this video editing tool is available for both Windows and macOS.
- Adobe Premiere Elements has a clean and simple user interface
- Users of this software get cross-platform support
- This video editing tool has many powerful text tools
- Thanks to its Guided Edits feature, you can navigate this software without stress.
- Adobe Premiere Elements has many unique video effects.
- Adobe Premiere Elements has a slow rendering speed
- The software doesn’t currently have a screen recording capability
- This video editing software doesn’t have DVD or Blu-ray burning
- It is missing Multicam support
- No 3D editing or 360-degree VR.
Clipchamp may not be the most sophisticated video editing tool out there, but when it comes to editing and producing videos for marketing purposes, Clipchamp doesn’t disappoint. Clipchamp is quite different from other video editing software we have highlighted in that it is a template-based PWA (progressive web application).
Despite its simplicity, Clipchamp allows users to create simple videos complete with transitions and background music. While the software is free, you’ll have to pay a little token to access more templates and content.
Who is Clipchamp for?
Clipchamp is carefully designed for non-professionals. So if you’re a professional editor looking for advanced video editing software, you’d have to consider other options, as this isn’t it. And yes, this software is free and billed to come with the latest Windows OS. And since the software is available for cross-platform, even Mac users can use the software for their editing projects.
- Clipchamp has a clean and easy-to-use interface.
- It has brilliant soundtrack options you can use to improve your clips.
- It has a wonderful selection of transitions and stylish effects.
- It has many exceptional template selections.
- Despite offering tons of templates, these templates are short and don’t clearly describe what type of shots they are.
- Users have limited control over the effects
- Rendering videos using Clipchamp is a bit slow
- Most of the stock content requires users to subscribe.
- This software isn’t as fun as Microsoft Photos.
If there is one thing we love about Wondershare Filmora, it is the fact that it is reasonably priced. On top of that, this video editing app is easy to use and comes loaded with many remarkable features you’ll love. Some of the remarkable features of this software include audio syncing, motion tracking, color matching, speech-to-text, and more. Plus, Wondershare Filmora stands out in terms of rendering and export speed.
Another unique thing about Wondershare Filmora is that it supports different operating systems, so you can use it on both macOS and Windows.
As we mentioned, Wondershare Filmora is affordable; little wonder why the software appeals to amateurs and professional video editors.
Who is Wondershare Filmora for?
Wondershare Filmora is a wonderful video editing resource for amateurs who want to add a brilliant touch to their videos. The software features many mind-blowing effects that are guaranteed to add a professional touch to your clips. If you are on a tight budget and don’t have the money to subscribe to more advanced software like Premiere Pro and DaVinci Resolve, you’ll love Filmora as it is more affordable. As per pricing, this software costs $49.99 annually.
- Wondershare Filmora has a neat interface., making it easy for users to navigate the software without any qualms.
- The software unlocks access to many brilliant effects and overlays.
- Wondershare Filmora delivers lightning-speed rendering and export.
- This video editing tool is affordable, so you won’t have to spend a fortune to get it.
- Good titles and text tools.
- Compared to competitors, Wondershare Filmora has fewer special effects tweaking tools.
- It doesn’t have a touch-friendly interface
- The software crashes now and then.
- It doesn’t have a DVD menu or chapter authoring.
VSDC Free Video Editor
This video editing tool comes in two versions: free and paid. While the free option of this video editing software has limited features, users still get to explore VSDC’s full video editing suite. With VSDC free, you can explore powerful features like chroma key functionality, mask tool, and other great features for achieving green-screen video effects. VSDC is an insanely popular editing tool among GoPro content creators.
Although the free version of this software is all shades of amazing, if you have the funds to spare, we highly recommend opting for the paid version as it unlocks access to even more exciting features not available on the free version. For instance, with the paid version of VSDC, you can access an expanded editing suite, which includes 3D diagram templates, robust post-production effects, video stabilization, show/presentation capabilities, and the ability to upload edited videos directly to social media platforms.
Who is VSDC for?
VSDC caters to the video editing needs of both amateurs and professional editors. And as we reiterated earlier, this video editing tool is popular among GoPro users. While the software is easy to navigate, it has many robust features that give your clips a polished and professional touch.
And just to add, this software is pocket friendly. The paid version of VSDC only costs $19.99.
- VSDC has a clean and intuitive user interface
- It has a brilliant array of color correction tools. These tools make for a more professional look.
- It has easy-to-use image filters. The image filters provided by VSDC are similar to what you get with Instagram.
- With VSDC, users can access a variety of transitional effects.
- This editing software has HEVC/H.265. It is an advanced video compression standard that ensures that your videos maintain the highest quality.
- VSDC still has a long way to go to level up with more advanced video editing software like Adobe Premiere Pro.
- Though it is great for amateurs, you still need time to understand the software.
If you have always wanted to create high-quality videos without spending a single dollar, then we implore you to check out VideoPad. This video editing software is highly sought after because it grants users access to simple and easy-to-use features including sound effects library, 3D video editing, special effects, and more that will breathe life into your videos.
Using VideoPad, you can add different special effects, animations, overlays, texts, transitions, sound effects, and color transitions to your videos. And yes, the software allows you to export your clips to YouTube, Google Drive, Facebook, and other mobile devices with just a few clicks.
The only caveat with this software is that it may be too simple for professional editors. More so, VideoPad doesn’t have many of the advanced tools you’ll find on other free video editing software. Nonetheless, the software comes with the option to add light effects, overlay text, images, and fine-tune colors.
Who is VideoPad for?
If you need robust editing software that makes it seamless to edit your clips, you’ll fancy VideoPad. Though this software might be a bit average for professional editors, amateurs will love all of the features offered by VideoPad.
We love that the software is super easy to use, thanks to its clean user interface. And yes, this software is available free of charge, so you won’t spend anything to get it. Simply download and install it to your computer, and you’re good to go.
- VideoPad has a built-in double screen. While you can use one screen to preview selected clips, you can use the other screen to preview complete sequences. The built-in double screen provided by VideoPad makes for easy and intuitive editing.
- The software lets you seamlessly share your videos across social media
- It has a vast library of customizable transitions. These transitions add more depth to your videos.
- It has powerful video optimization tools such as stabilization.
- The software has a huge library of visual effects and video transitions. You can use these elements to customize your videos.
- Exporting options available on VideoPad makes it easy for users to create video files optimized for different platforms, including Facebook and YouTube.
- This software doesn’t cater to the editing needs of professional editors. If you want an advanced video editing tool, consider other advanced options like Adobe Premiere Pro.
Lightworks stand out from other video editing apps because of its simple and intuitive interface. Thanks to its clean user interface, amateurs can explore this software without stressing. More importantly, the team behind this fantastic video editing software has put together some excellent video tutorials. Using these resources, you’re sure to get the hang of this video editing software before you know it.
What makes Lightworks special is its brilliant array of stock videos and music clips. You can use these stock videos and music clips without any copyright concerns as they are licensed to be used within your videos.
Who is Lightworks for?
Owning to the fantastic features and functionalities of Lightworks, the software will cater to the video editing needs of amateurs and professional editors. While Lightworks has a free version, which grants access to great features, the paid version of this software costs $349. Paying for the Pro version of Lightworks will unlock access to more advanced tools that will improve the quality of your videos.
- Lightworks delivers superior quality simple trim function. This makes for fast and reliable video editing.
- This software has speed optimization. This ensures that you can continue editing your videos while importing new clips.
- Lightworks supports multiple video formats.
- This software has Multicam editing. This helps to sync clips from multiple cameras.
- You can use Lightworks with your team. Plus, you can grant full control over which user has editing access.
- With Lightworks, sharing your clips to social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and Vimeo is quick and super easy.
- Lightworks is a tad expensive, especially when you compare the software. While the software has a free version, you’d have to pay a whopping $349 to subscribe to the Pro version.
- Though there are many tutorials available to help you navigate this software, amateurs may not find it so easy to use this software.
Lumen5 goes toe to toe with Adobe Premiere Pro, thanks to featuring advanced editing tools guaranteed to add some depth to your videos. Since both Adobe Premiere Pro and Lumen5 are industry leaders, it’s difficult to say which is the better option. While Lumen5 has similar features to Adobe Premiere Pro, it has its uniqueness, and we will go over that shortly.
Lumen5 is subscription-based and a bit more affordable than other video editing tools featured in today’s post. It is a brilliant option for people on a budget.
Though Lumen5 may be affordable, we love that it still features impeccable functionalities available on some of the leading video editing software. More so, the software has a 90-day free trial. This allows you to explore the software before committing to a deal.
Another amazing thing about this software is that it works across different environments. So whether you own a Mac or a Windows laptop, rest assured that you’ll be able to use this software for all your editing needs. Let us also add that there is a dedicated mobile app for Lumen5, making it possible to edit your content directly from your mobile phone.
With Lumen5, users can access advanced features such as special effects, magnetic timelines, and intelligent smart conform cropping. The software makes video rendering lightning fast.
Who is Lumen5 for?
Because of its advanced video editing tools, this software is perfect for professional editors looking to polish their video clips. Though the software has a unique user interface, newbies will have a hard time navigating the software. If you have always wanted an advanced video editing app that goes shoulder-to-shoulder with the best, you won’t go wrong trying Lumen5.
And as we mentioned earlier, this software is pretty affordable, so it will make an awesome choice for people on a budget looking for a reliable video editing tool that lives up to its hype and lofty promises. For starters, this software costs $10 per month and can reach as high as $40 per month.
- Lumen5 has a clean and intuitive user interface. This makes it easy to explore the software.
- The software is subscription-based. Meaning you’ve to keep paying recurring monthly fees. Thankfully, it is affordable, so you won’t have to worry too much about the fee.
- The software fits perfectly into Apple and Windows ecosystems.
- It has a vast library of useful features you can deploy for video editing.
- Lumen5 has lightning-fast rendering.
- Though Lumen5 has a dedicated mobile app, their mobile app is missing a lot of features and functionalities available on the desktop and laptop versions.
- Many professional video editors consider the Lumen5 editing software average as it doesn’t have many of the top features you’ll typically find on top video editing software.
- Lumen5 is missing important features like stabilization and 360 degrees motion tracking.
There is so much to love about Nero Video. To start with, this software is pocket-friendly and only costs around $49.99. So if you’re on a tight budget but still want video editing software that packs a punch, Nero Video will satisfy you.
While its attractive price point makes Nero Video appealing to video editors, Nero Video features a lot of tricks and effects you won’t find on some of the most expensive video editing software.
Although the software targets beginners looking to polish their video editing skills, Nero Video has many remarkable features that even the most experienced video editors will appreciate.
On top of its brilliant features, Nero is also user-friendly, which explains why the software appeals to many amateurs looking to jump-start their video editing careers. And to top it off, there are many amazing tutorials available online on how to make the most of this software for your editing needs.
Who is it for?
Though Nero Video is geared toward amateurs, it has some remarkable features that professional video editors will love. Thanks to its neat and user-friendly interface, you’ll be able to find your way around the software without any qualms. The only caveat with this software is that it is missing many of the advanced features you’ll typically find on top-rated video editing apps.
- Thanks to its neat and compelling user interface, the software is super easy to use.
- It has a brilliant selection of tricks and effects guaranteed to make your video look professional.
- The software is quite affordable so you won’t need to dig a fat hole in your pocket to afford it.
- Nero Video doesn’t cater to the needs of professional editors, so we won’t recommend the software to professionals.
Things to consider when deciding on a video editing solution
Before deciding on a video editing solution, consider whether your preferred software has the necessary features and functionalities. We will highlight some of these features to give you a better perspective so you know exactly what we are talking about.
Again, you don’t want to pay too much for software that has more functionalities than you need. Also, you want to avoid ending up with software that is missing some of the things you need for your editing endeavors.
Multicam, Motion tracking, and other important functionalities
Advanced features like multi-cam, motion tracking, and more are continually finding expression in consumer-friendly video editing software. Multicam editing is a powerful feature that lets users switch between different camera angles within the same scene shot. Before now, this feature was reserved for pro-level software, but with the advancement in the video editing industry, this feature is becoming common in consumer-friendly video editing software. When opting for a video editing software, double-check to ensure that your preferred software has this feature.
Another powerful feature that is popping up in consumer-level video editing software is motion tracking. This unique feature lets users attach an object or effect to something within their clips. Have you seen a video where you notice a blur over someone’s face, making it look like the person doesn’t want their face revealed? Then you have seen motion tracking in action.
The cool thing about this effect is that it is super easy to use. And once added to your videos, it gives your clip a whole new dimension.
While motion tracking used to be only available on professional-level video editing software like Corel VideoStudio, it is now being included in consumer-level video editing software, making video editing software more accessible to the average user.
Even though Corel VideoStudio was the first consumer-level app to include motion tracking, other video editing apps have emerged with this feature, allowing users to access this powerful feature without spending a fortune.
Does your preferred editing software support 4?
Thanks to technological advancements, support for 4K video format has become standard in video editing software. As a matter of fact, most of the leading pro video editing software now supports up to 8K video formats. Remember that going for video editing software that supports up to 8K video format is only important if you’re running a full-size movie theater.
That said, even top smartphones such as the Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G allow users to shoot up to 8K.
The support for 4K and 8K video sources varies among consumer products. For instance, some video editing software can import Sony XAVC and XAVC-S formats, a feature on popular DSLRs, camcorders, mirrorless, and professional video cameras.
Good enough, most video editing software featured in today’s post can import HEVC formats.
If you plan on editing 4K or higher video content, opting for video editing software that delivers lightning-fast rendering is important. This will save you a lot of time.
At the moment, very few video editing software support newer video formats like open-source AV1. But we are optimistic that some of the leading video editing software on the market will include support for new video formats in subsequent updates.
Editing videos on your PC
None of the above mentioned matters if your preferred video editing software can’t execute basic editing tasks. Thankfully, all of the video editing software featured in today’s guide allows users to trim, join and split video clips.
Not just that, nearly all of the video editing tools highlighted so far provide users access to extensive tutorials, help, and guides on how you can navigate and make the most of these editing tools.
These tools have powerful features and functionalities like special effects you can use to add picture-in-picture, transitions, chroma key (green screen), and filters to your videos. Additionally, video editing tools should let users enhance colors, distortions, and creative effects in their videos.
With most of the video editing software highlighted in today’s guide, you can add multiple timeline tracks to accommodate audio, video clips, text overlays, and effects.
Imagine a scene displaying people on the beach, then suddenly, the sky zooms in, showing you a place in Paris or Rome. This is an excellent use of transition. This outstanding feature ensures there is no distortion between different scenes. There are plenty of other excellent uses of transition, but this stands out.
Can you edit videos on smartphones?
Did you know that you can edit videos on your smartphone almost as easily as you watch them? Oh yes, this is all thanks to the incredible advancement in the video editing industry. Many video editing tools highlighted in today’s guide are available for smartphones. So if your goal is to be able to edit videos on your mobile phone, these video editing apps have now made it possible.
We have experimented with a few of these video editing software on mobile phones and found them to work just fine. For mobile, Adobe Premiere has a dedicated app called Premiere Rush. This app lets you seamlessly edit videos on your smartphone. Not just that, the app makes it possible to start editing videos on a mobile phone and complete the process on the desktop app.
Similarly, Apple iMovie interacts seamlessly with Final Cut Pro, allowing users to edit videos directly on their mobile devices. Other popular video editing software with a dedicated mobile app include CyberLink PowerDirector. For instance, the CyberLink PowerDirector mobile app has over 100 million downloads on the Google Play app store alone. This shows how much people are interested in editing videos using their mobile phones.
Free or paid?
There is no reason you should be forking out hundreds of dollars for a video editing tool you only use now and then, especially with the myriad of free video editing apps available for both Windows and macOS. And in today’s guide, we have included some of the best free video editing software we could find.
But even though the deciding factor for choosing between a paid or free video editing app appears to be the amount of cold hard cash available, that is only part of the story.
People interested in top-notch video editing software with impeccable functionalities, a variety of built-in resources, responsive customer support, and more sure won’t mind spending some money to get one of the paid video editing tools featured in today’s guide.
Also, there is another option we think video editors, whether professionals or newbies, can explore. You can explore free video editing software like VideoPad or HitFilm and purchase extra features to improve your video editing.
Take advantage of free trial options
Before you subscribe to any video editing software, it’s always smart to test the software before committing to any paid plans. Thankfully, you won’t need to pay anything while testing the majority of the video editing tools featured in today’s post because most of these video editing resources have a free trial option.
By taking advantage of the free trial option for different video editing software, you get to test the software. And if you’re satisfied with the software’s performance, you can subscribe to a paid plan. On the flip side, if you aren’t pleased after trying the software, you can explore other software until you find one that ticks all your boxes.
Speed is a big deal
Without mincing words, video editing ranks among one of the most computing-intensive activities. To this end, you’ll need a powerful laptop or desktop that can deliver a seamless experience when cutting your own movies.
Most of the video editing resources highlighted in today’s guide help speed up the editing process. They are able to achieve this by creating a proxy file of lower resolution. With this in place, normal editing and preview aren’t affected by the high resolution of files you are working on.
Rendering is a particularly intensive process that converts your edited videos into a standard file. The goal of rendering is to ensure that your video file plays seamlessly across different devices, including on a smartphone, desktop, laptop, or HDTV. Thankfully, most of the video editing tools highlighted in today’s guide are able to take advantage of your computer’s graphics processor to speed things up.
Regarding rendering speed testing, software like Pinnacle Studio, CyberLink PowerDirector, and Adobe Premiere Pro delivered the best results. So consider these options if you’re looking for speed in a video editing software.
Frequently asked questions
There are tons of frequently asked questions regarding video editing software. We will use this opportunity to answer some of these questions. Let’s jump right in, shall we?
What Software do Youtubers Use to Make Videos?
If you create content for YouTube, there are many remarkable video editing apps you can use to polish your content before you upload them to YouTube. These editing tools include Final Cut Pro, iMovie, and Adobe Premiere Pro. We love these video editing resources because of the fantastic features they offer, coupled with their ease of use.
Do you need a paid app to edit your videos?
To be honest, If you want an editing app that packs a punch and has many top-level features you can leverage for your video editing needs, you’d have to go for paid software. On the flip side, if you only get to edit videos now and then and only need basic features to polish your videos, you’ll be happy with the myriad of free video editing resources available.
How can I improve my editing skills?
Having a powerful video editing app is just one part of the dice. The big question is, can you really edit? If you’re a newbie just getting started in video editing, you’ll need to hone your video editing skills. Thankfully, there are hundreds of video editing tutorials and guides online that will help improve your editing skills every step of the way. All you need to do is practice consistently, and you’d be surprised how good you’ll get with every passing day.
Can I get a full refund?
Many of the video editing apps that made it to our list have a flexible money-back guarantee policy. So if for any reason, you aren’t particularly pleased about the performance of your preferred video editing tool, you can always get a refund. More so, many of these video editing software provides a free trial option. So you can always test the software to see if it ticks all your boxes before committing to a paid plan.
The bottom line
The video editing software you end up with may depend on your budget, what you need the software for, and how serious you are. Fortunately, we have done the hard part for you and presented you with an extensive list of the best video editing software you can choose from. Our in-depth analysis provides exclusive insight into each editing software, its pros and cons, and pricing. If you’re still confused about which video editing solutions you should opt for, you can go through our list once more for better insight.
Again, if you only need a video editing software for casual uses, there is no need to pay hundreds of dollars for editing software when you can use the myriad of free resources available out there. On the flip side, a professional video editor should opt for a paid tool as it unlocks access to advanced features you won’t find on free video editing software.
We hope today’s guide on the best video editing software has been helpful. We would love to know your favorite video editing software and why you think it is the best. Leave us a comment, and we will be happy to respond.
Disclosure: This page may contain a few affiliate links, which means if you buy something through them, we may get a commission (without any extra cost to you).